Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2013-2014 Thread

steadyb

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing how dead this thread is with the Lake not relevant this year.

Well, they're still relevant to me - no matter how far down the standings the C's and Lakers are, it still stings to lose a game like that to the gold and purple... :mad:

I'd be more active it weren't for that same old TV situation the Rockets helped to create. I know there's that online option but that's just not conducive to how I watch the games. I do catch them on national TV when I can. Like the other night when they scored 70-something points in the first half, and 50 less than that in the second. A new NBA record, and another loss for the Rockets.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Well, they're still relevant to me - no matter how far down the standings the C's and Lakers are, it still stings to lose a game like that to the gold and purple... :mad:

Yeah, it's strange to see both of those teams with losing records this deep into the season. Sad.

In the meantime, the Suns would be the eighth seed in the West if the playoffs were held now. So far at least, they've exceeded my expectations. I hope their rebuilding process continues ahead of schedule.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The two teams aren't competitive, so the rivalry doesn't seem as fun. I was surprised the Lakers won, though, since all their PGs are injured and they had to bring up two people from D-League.

I liked the way the Lakers were starting to play together just before Bryant came back. I'm not saying they were really good, but I thought they were fun to watch and were developing some team chemistry.

I don't think Bryant should come back from his injury. He should fully recuperate. The season is toast.

But he won't do this. You know he won't.

Especially when you blow an 8 point lead with 3 minutes to go. (salt ->wound)

:D

Especially when you blow an 8 point lead with 3 minutes to go. (salt ->wound)

I have watched the C's do this more times than I wish to recall this season.

Don't worry, though. Unlike the Lake, the C's have a boatload of draft picks and a nice young core. So I'll be celebrating the C's next championship LOOOOOONG before you'll be celebrating LA's next...

...playoff appearance.

• 1 month later...

This thread has been awful quiet lately. What happened to all this Laker fans who usually kept it active? Oh that's right, the regular season doesn't really matter anyway. It's just the postseason that counts...

Meanwhile, Dwight couldn't even get away from the "Howard Sucks" chant on the flight home.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

http://www.nba.com/rockets/fans/state-farm-vip-sweepstakes-2014

Lori entered this contest because the Orlando game is on her birthday.

She won. :o

From what they've told her, the flights are on the team plane. Yeah, the same plane you see in the video I posted above.

Now the question is, who is she going to take with her?

The Lakers traded Steve Blake to the Warriors for two guys I've never heard of, who immediately came off the bench to help rouse the Lakers to a victory of the Celtics.

I would say that the Steve Blake trade will probably come back to bite the Lakers in the ass, especially since he's been playing really well this year, but truly...it ain't gonna matter. The Lakers are going for ping-pong balls this year.

Regardless, I'm glad Blake is on a really good team.

I couldn't get your link to load... :(
Sorry, it's a slow load sometimes.

Here's the contest info.

http://blue-funk.com/NonBandPictures/StateFarmOrlandoVIP2014.jpg

Regardless, I'm glad Blake is on a really good team.
Me too - Go Terps!

See, this would be a great year for SteadyB to do his usual ranting about the West being the superior conference...

Memphis is currently on the outside looking in at the playoffs in the West. If they were in the East, they'd be the #3 seed. :freak:

If the playoffs started today, fully half the East bracket would be at or below .500. :freak:

In head-to-head action so far this season, other than Miami and Indiana, the East has one team (Brooklyn) with a winning record against the West (11-10 after last night's action)

Again, outside of Miami and Indiana, the East's aggregate record against the West is an abysmal 89-194, led (?) by Milwaukee's eye-popping 1-20!!!

Three of the six sub-.500 teams in the West (Minnesota, Denver, New Orleans) have .500 or better records against East competition. Even more astonishing, the hapless Utah Jazz (currently 6th in the "Diggin' for Wiggins" chase) would look pretty good if they played exclusively East competition - they're 9-10 against earlier time zone foes...

• 2 weeks later...

The Rockets have beat the Heat AND the Pacers this week, the first team to do it all season. (They also beat Orlando in Orlando - I should know, we were there!)

The Rockets are for real, and they look like they're having fun.

The trip to Orlando was exhausting and awesome. I guess you can say NBA people live an "entertainers" schedule, traveling late, sleeping in, not getting any time in the cities visited, etc. We might not be so tired had we not met a friend in Orlando at 10:30 AM after getting in 3 AM that morning. But, Lori says that was probably the best birthday she has ever had. I'm lucky in that a) I didn't really have to do anything to make that happen, and 2) she's not resentful that I haven't done better for her. :D

But, the Fakers are terrible so no one is even reading this thread. :P

The Rockets have beat the Heat AND the Pacers this week, the first team to do it all season. (They also beat Orlando in Orlando - I should know, we were there!)

And they just thumped the Pacers. Jeremy Lin looked good in what little of the game I saw.

But, the Fakers are terrible so no one is even reading this thread. :P

I am. :P I bet you didn't even read the analysis I did two weeks ago... Right up above your post!

Yes, I did. :wave:

I've merely run out of things to say about how unbalanced the league is East vs. West.

From a recent article about the Rockets: "Had [Harden] thought of it with the pairing of a win against Heat to go with the blowout of the Pacers, he even could have been marking their season-long dominance of the Eastern Conference in Houston, with the Rockets 14-0 against Eastern Conference teams."

I've merely run out of things to say about how unbalanced the league is East vs. West.

I suppose there's not much to say. It's abundantly clear. And it's too bad. It'd be more interesting if the East were as competitive as a whole.

I suppose there's not much to say. It's abundantly clear. And it's too bad. It'd be more interesting if the East were as competitive as a whole.

It can make sense in stuff like AL vs NL, where they actually have different rules, or maybe if this were the result of a merger such as most of the East teams being from the ABA or something.

• 1 month later...

:snax:

I'm glad at least one of us has a rooting interest in the playoffs this year. Good luck to your Rockets, Joe.

As for me, I can't remember the last time that both the Suns and Lakers missed the postseason (Edit: it was the 1974-75 season); so it's odd for me to have no rooting interest in the playoffs. Nonetheless, as a Suns fan, I'm pretty happy with the way this season turned out for my favorite team. Most pundits expected Phoenix to bomb; their best playersGoran Dragic and Eric Bledsoeused to be backups for Steve Nash and Chris Paul. But they were the last team to be eliminated from the playoffs this season, and their improvement shocked all but the most ardent fans. More here:

Last Team Out: Exiting Suns Keep Impressing

Phoenix has six first-round picks coming in the next two drafts, so their future looks promising.

As for my second favorite Lakers, this season is as disappointing as it gets. It seems unlikely that Steve Nash's and Kobe's bodies have enough stability left to accomplish their goals next year either. I really hoped that Nash would win a championship before he retired, but it's hard to see that happening now

Oh well. Here's to an exciting playoffs and a better season next year. :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

One of the things I'm happy about is that I will actually be able to watch all the rest of the Rockets games on TV. It could be like old times.

The Lakers are really putting off the inevitable, aren't they? Props to their fans though. Even late in the season, I was surprised how few empty seats I could see at Staples. I'm not sure I agree with Boston's approach of blowing everything up and starting over from scratch.

One of the things I'm happy about is that I will actually be able to watch all the rest of the Rockets games on TV. It could be like old times.

The Lakers are really putting off the inevitable, aren't they? Props to their fans though. Even late in the season, I was surprised how few empty seats I could see at Staples. I'm not sure I agree with Boston's approach of blowing everything up and starting over from scratch.

The C's aren't blowing everything up. They traded away three grizzled veterans who weren't going to get them anywhere but another first-round exit, got themselves under the luxury tax limit, let Rondo recover gradually from his knee (unlike Derrick Rose), and developed their young guys. Sullinger and Olynyk are showing a ton of promise. Need a legit, dependable scorer at the 3 (Jeff Green ain't it) and a big body defender at the 5 (maybe Asik, if you guys will come off him for a reasonable price this offseason) and we should be good to go next year.

We also have a boatload of picks over the next few years, so if we can get the ship righted, we can keep it that way for a long time.

Archived