Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP George Jackson

kanker.

Saw the news yesterday of the passing this past weekend of one of my favorite soul songwriters, George Jackson. Among the hits he wrote are Old Time Rock and Roll, Trying to Live My Live Without You, One Bad Apple recorded by the Osmonds, and Down Home Blues. He was a staff writer at FAME, Muscle Shoals Sound, and Malaco, with stints at Goldwax, Hi Records, and a couple other Memphis labels. He also had recorded a bit under his own name. Really talented cat.

Obit

[video:youtube]

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As one might expect from the location of his publishers, I knew George well, and played on a lot of his song demos, way back in the day. He was a supremely nice cat, and a way talented songwriter who understood more about the craft of songwriting than I ever would. He taught me a few things that I've never forgotten, and made me a better studio musician in the process.

He was also a well known soft touch, and whenever he had money, a large "entourage" of fair weather friends was ever present. He never seemed to mind though, always happy to share his good fortune with family and friends.

Rest in Peace George.

Archived