Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis io/4 and iPad 2

LucLuc31

Hi All, I'm new on this forum!

I have an Alesis io/4 interface and an iPad2 with this CCK.

I'm able to record 4 track at one time and all is OK.

BUT, the only problem is that I cannot connect the power supply to the iPad, meaning that if I connect also C.C.Kit micro USB for power, the Alesis the USB LED turns off and there is no audio connection with the iPad.

So I can have as the only available recording time of the internal charge of the iPad.

Now I got this, which should be more specific, but I'm still waiting for it.

I was wondering if there is anyone on this forum who can give me a hint.

Thanks in advance :) ,

LM

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how that cable would be of any benefit with regard to charging and ipad whilst using the CCK. The CCK takes up the 30-pin port, so there's nowhere to plug that charging cable in after the CCK is plugged in.

This is an issue with a lot of 30-pin ipad devices - they don't charge the ipad. There's a passthru 30-pin device that charges the ipad while passing the data through to another 30-pin device, here:

http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockStubz.html

I got that dockstubz thing, hoping it would charge the ipad while plugged into a iConnectMIDI, but alas it didn't. I wouldn't have high hopes that it would charge while plugged up to the CCK.

For 4-tracks-at-once recording on an ipad2 AND charging, there aren't a lot of options. The Alesis ioMix does it, and it may be the only thing that does it. They go for around $300.

Favorite Gear:Vintage Vibe 73 w/MIDI, Microkorg, ipad2 with lotsa apps, VB3, Rhodes 88, Roland VK8, Fantom XR, Brainspawn Forte

I don't see how that cable would be of any benefit with regard to charging and ipad whilst using the CCK. The CCK takes up the 30-pin port, so there's nowhere to plug that charging cable in after the CCK is plugged in.

Hi hoggernick and thanks for your replay.

The strange thing is that if I take off from the CCK the USB cable coming from the Alesis and insert only the micro USB coming from a charger, it charges the iPad normally.

The problem is when I insert the USB cable coming from Alesis "and" the micro USB coming from the charger: the communication between Alesis and iPad stops!

LM

LucLuc31 - that's the same problem I had with the dockstubz thing. It would charge the ipad as long as the iConnectMIDI wasn't plugged into the loop. As soon as it was in use, the charging stopped. I'm sure there's a technical reason for it, something about the charging has to be better integrated into the device that's using the data, perhaps.
Favorite Gear:Vintage Vibe 73 w/MIDI, Microkorg, ipad2 with lotsa apps, VB3, Rhodes 88, Roland VK8, Fantom XR, Brainspawn Forte

Archived