Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help... I can't stop watching this Youtube video

HSS

My old lady is going to divorce me unless I quit playing this damned thing all the time....

Otis was definately da man. Although he may not have been a technical master, IMO Otis was the master of post-WW2 "contemporary" piano blues phrasing and having just the right space between the notes. The interplay between his piano and vocal phrasing with the emotions on his face in this video clip are intense and reach way down there and grab me by the 'nads.

IMHO.. Otis did the best piano man cover ever of "Aint Nobody's Business", even better than James Booker's, which is saying a hell of a lot. Otis died way too young at about 40.

And also what's better in this cover, is that there aren't any guitars wanking off, as in most other more recent covers.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it when folks want me to "play that Otis Spann stuff."

I know what they mean, but it shows a real simplified view on Otis. He was a very deep, and very versatile cat. That "Spann stuff" works great in the context of the Muddy Waters band, but when Otis played with other folks, or when he did his own thing, he played a whole lot of other concepts and approaches.

Love me some Otis.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

My old lady is going to divorce me unless I quit playing this damned thing all the time....

maybe it has something to do with the shotgun reference... :laugh:

Good point... I definately need to tell her that I sold the 12 gauge pump when we moved from Texas about three years ago. ;)

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I was expecting a video of yelling goats.

That's the one I was obsessing over last month and then I found my meds.

Yeah... I obviously love me some Otis too. It's too bad he is pretty much known to the general public as Muddy's sideman, which is certainly not a bad thing, but you are right he was so much more.

Archived