Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elka Rhapsody 490 String Machine...

HSS

I've had one in my closet since the late 70's. when I used to double on drums and keyboards. It's in need of some TLC. Is it worth a couple of hundred bucks of work to get it up and running for selling to vintage gear heads?

Opinions appreciated.

For what its worth I had a mint ARP 2600 and rather beat-up Mark I Rhodes that I probably let go too soon and too cheap in the mid 80's when I got $500 for both of them on trade for a new Yamaha PF85. I don't want to make the same mistake again and essentially give the Elka 490 away if its worth anything .

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks for the fast replies and the info. I'll probably have the Elka stuffed and mounted, along with my Boss RT20, Akai DPS16, and my beat-to-hell 1970 Ludwig Probeat drum kit.

WRG to my stupid decision to basically take next to nothing for the ARP 2600 and Rhodes in the mid 80's, I was still suffering from the IQ debilitating effects of being mainly a drummer during the 70's. By the end of the 80's, I had pretty much recovered and my financial and personal decisions started becoming somewhat rational.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

hey! I had one of those for awhile.

I had problems with the fuse holder and on/off switch on mine.sold it a few months ago for $130.00 and was glad to get that much.

I like the look, I love the sound, but it just wasn't worth it to me to crack it open and fix it properly (couldn't find a proper replacement for the switch anyway) so I sold it as is.

http://i.imgur.com/rDWnGdG.jpg

BTW if you really aren't going to do anything with it you should at least put it on craigslist for cheap so somebody else can have some fun with it.

or send it to me, I'd love to have another one just for the hell of it.

Mine is definately more beat up than yours. The power is not reliably coming on, so maybe it's the switch or fuse like on yours or perhaps a new power cord is needed. Also the two slider controls on mine are rusted a little and need new tips. I have the original funky red-carpeted case like you but not the pedal.

I'll probably just hang onto mine for a while and hobby horse with it trying to fix it up myself. If I can it get it playing reliably again, I might go ahead and sell it on the cheap or just keep it in my obsolete equipment "museum" for grins. But if I change my mind I'll let you know first.

Yikes, I still have one of these ELKAs down in the basement crawl space too. Looks a little beat up, but still works AFAIK. Thanks for reminding me of this. Maybe I'll have to drag it out this weekend, take some photos and see if anyone bites on Craig's. It's good to see that there just may be some sort of market/interest out there for a relic like this.

Archived