Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

whitenoise

Easy, Kurzweil "Triple-Strike" anyone? To me they sound much better played with a weighted action.

+1! and some actions sound better than others. My PC3K8 sounds incredible when using the Casio PX-5S as a controller, arguably one of the best pianos I've ever played. Did not get the same result using the SV1(which I sold today).

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

Agreed, the VR09's acoustic pianos are horrid if notes are held for more than one second. However, they sound pretty good for fast boogie woogie or rock n roll. Once I had a chance to try it out with the band, I was amazed how well they fit in the mix, but still prefer to keep a soft pad or strings layered around level 2 just to hide those terrible AP loops as the sound decays.

EP's probably only have three velocity sample switches...which is barely passable for bar band classic rock covers, but the quick access to effects helps to keep things fun.

Organ tone is where the thing really shines and the keybed works very well for that.

For expression, I use a cheap-o M-Audio EX-P with the volume adjusted so the Organ still purrs when the pedal is backed all the way off. It is still kind of jumpy though. Want to try the Roland pedal soon to see if it is any smoother.

Okay so now that I've had a chance to mess around with the vr a few nights, here's my quick 2 cents. The keybed is shallow but I don't find it hard to play.. didn't take long to get used to it. I have it midi'd to my np30 76 key bottom tier. The split/manual function is what really sold me on this thing. With the versatile selection of voices the vr09 supplies and the fact that you can control separate voices on 2 keybeds.. is like having 2 synths.. for almost the price of one (I say almost because I think you can pick up an np30 for less then 200.. works as a great controller, hosts a decent piano sound, runs on batteries and is extremely light weight). I'm quite fine with the sound of all the voices for the price of the machine. The organ tones are good. I don't love the rotary sim(found the vk8m I used to have much better as well as vb3) but it's still better than anything in its price range and is usable. The Synth sounds are quite nice and versatile. I layered my np30 piano with the vr grandv2 patch.. and ended up with something nice a rich. While the note hold issue between changing patches is an annoyance (and something I hope Roland will address) it is something that I can deal with and can adjust to it. For me.. this little unit does exactly what I need.. and it didn't break the bank. Feeling quite satisfied with the purchase.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

Hi Craig

I see that you commented on the Roland Axial site.

I was just wondering if you managed to actually download any of he additional sounds to the VR-09 and what you thought of them, this could be a clincher as to whether I buy it or not!

Its ver y annoying that they synth editor is only avialable only on ipad as that means another £400 investment. I see that the Intregra is now editable via Mac, but not PC. I think Roland don't seem to have a very clear and straightforeward policy on editors. I will presume they are working on PC editors for all there stuff, doesn't make sense otherwise. Once they have sorted this stuff, I will probably get one for organs, clavs and EPS, but may just go for NORD lead 2 x rack whihc I could get very cheap section hand, plus I could download samples from Nord.

For me playing the VR-09, the organs were not the best thing,as there was a lack of bottom end, the octaves didn't go down far enough , On church organs one could do way down, on a large rig anyhow! The synth section and drums were very impressive and instant tweak factor, can't stand menu diving how ever impressive board might be!

Hi Craig

I see that you commented on the Roland Axial site.

I was just wondering if you managed to actually download any of he additional sounds to the VR-09 and what you thought of them, this could be a clincher as to whether I buy it or not!

Its ver y annoying that they synth editor is only avialable only on ipad as that means another £400 investment. I see that the Intregra is now editable via Mac, but not PC. I think Roland don't seem to have a very clear and straightforeward policy on editors.

For me playing the VR-09, the organs were not the best thing,as there was a lack of bottom end, the octaves didn't go down far enough , On church organs one could do way down, on a large rig anyhow! The synth section and drums were very impressive and instant tweak factor, can't stand menu diving how ever impressive board might be!

I'm not sure how you download from this site yet, but the vr-09 is not currently on the list of supported synths yet (the roland rep who announced the Axial site said it will be). So the short answer is no I have not downloaded any sounds from the site.. However, I have a GAIA so I may try that in the mean time.

Yes I agree very annoying that the editor is not available in different versions.

I'm not sure what you've played the VR-09 through but it's got lots of bass (did you try the tone control, and increasing the lower gain?)..as far as the keyboard goes its standard 61 notes like a real B3.. If you're comparing it to a church organ that has AGO pedals it doesn't have tones that go down quite that low.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I think I'll wait for a while and see when sounds ARE avaialable for VR, and any other updates, certianly its got some great sounds in there for the money no doubt about that, I really really enjoyed my time with it....its no.1 on list just will try out a few others like Nord etc, then go for something!

I have 1 nights rehearsing with it. With new band

lewgatewoodband.com

I was replacing a player who had a Nord 4d & the guys volentarily said the organ was BETTER!

love finaly having draw controls. Keybed is odd stiff short. Im used to a nice fantom fa76. I can ajust to it ok.

more to come.

For me playing the VR-09, the organs were not the best thing,as there was a lack of bottom end, the octaves didn't go down far enough , On church organs one could do way down, on a large rig anyhow!

The VR-09 mimicks a hammond B3, including foldback, and the hammond keyboard does not go lower. I think it is the reason why you cannot transpose the organ (although it would have been handy when splitting as someone already noted).

But, i plugged my 88 note keyboard to drive the VR-09 through MIDI, and it allowed me to go really deep lower on the organ sound. However, the sound seemed strange when played so low, but i had no time to tweak the EQ. Also, note that if you plug a pedal board (an option costing almost as much as the keyboard itself) you have access to a third organ part with its dedicated 2 drawbars, as the real thing. I did not find how to enable those 2 drawbars when using an external midi controller (as opposed to a dedicated pedal board plugged through the PK-in connector).

(I also had some problem when playing the acoustic piano from this same external controller, as if there was a flanger on the lower part. The piano may be transmitting on multiple channels, and is a pain in the a** to configure... i had no time to investigate further, plus i need to re-read the user manual of this crappy weighted piano... i will take some time later today to sort this out)

Looks like some of our colleagues are getting a tad frustrated with Roland's customer service... I am not surprised....

Roland Blog

Roland really needs to learn from companies like Casio... Or they can act like a typical corporate giant who couldn't give a crap about their customers... as long as they keep buying, and not returning their products...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Looks like some of our colleagues are getting a tad frustrated with Roland's customer service... I am not surprised....

Roland Blog

Roland really needs to learn from companies like Casio... Or they can act like a typical corporate giant who couldn't give a crap about their customers... as long as they keep buying, and not returning their products...

Yes.. Roland should take note at what Casio and Mike Martin are doing on the Px5S thread. Unfortunately for me.. the Px5S just didn't cut it for my ideal rig set up... and the organs don't even come close. Casio is definitely headed in the right direction.

Jay

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

Roland Blog

Yes.. Roland should take note at what Casio and Mike Martin are doing on the Px5S thread. Unfortunately for me.. the Px5S just didn't cut it for my ideal rig set up... and the organs don't even come close. Casio is definitely headed in the right direction.

You know, its not the product that pisses me off so much, its the lack of concern that some of these companies have for their customers. I hate to see people taken advantaged of and given the run-around by these corporations.

Casio was wise enough to hire Mike Martin, a very respected engineer and musician... and even wiser to have him active on these forums. Reminds me of what Yahama does with Bad Mister... These people help solve their customers' problems... not give them the run around promising new sounds, then disappointing them when they learn that their keyboard is not supported.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Roland Blog Yes

I

You know, its not the product that pisses me off so much, its the lack of concern that some of these companies have for their customers. I hate to see people taken advantaged of and given the run-around by these corporations.

Casio was wise enough to hire Mike Martin, a very respected engineer and musician... and even wiser to have him active on these forums. Reminds me of what Yahama does with Bad Mister... These people help solve their customers' problems... not give them the run around promising new sounds, then disappointing them when they learn that their keyboard is not supported.

It is what it is. Buyers need to do their due dillegence and research before making a purchase. That's what I did. Because people like Craig and forums like this.. I felt I knew what I was getting into.. and I'm not looking back. Ya the Roland Blog is disappointing and the axial announcement bizarre as it does not relate to the vr09 at this time.. but really... I'm very satisfied with the stock sound offering. The only thing I would really want is a supernatural piano and slightly better rotary sim. Those are things I highly doubt will be offered for download.. if the vr09 ever gets added to axial. I was Roland loyal from 1993 to 2001. This product made me want to come back. We (on the Roland blog) made it crystal clear what they can do to completely dominate the market they have targeted. Will they do it?.. who knows.. I still have a great combo axe. Now let's keep this thread on track with constructive and supportive information to help make the vr09 experience more enjoyable. I'm sure we have beat a dead horse to a pulp with the limitations.. and stock abilities. I feel bad for someone starting on page 1 of this thread.

Jay

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

I'm buying a prophet 12, I know a totally different beast but It'll kick all other synths into touch, at least for a while! As for hammonds, Eps, clavs & Rhodes sounds i'm sure for recording a Nord elctro rack or JV2080 will cut it.

I really think Roland should have made VR-09 a bit more of a premium product, 76 semi weighted, aftertouch, organ bars, arps, same sounds but more supernatural,Decent Pianos! Rhodes, EPs, classic vintage organs, keys and synths, more editable synth controls with filters, lfos, waves etc i.e a proper synth section, all organs, synths etc editable in large black and white screen, same splits etc but with assignable effects for each, even more effects with knobs, tremlo, chorus, chuck in a vocoder and audio input to use synth filters and now you have one hell of a product!!

Ok and charge $1500 for it

Why can't either yamaha, korg or Roland do that??

Its seems a deliberate ploy not to put all this stuff togehter so that you are forced to buy more products, or there is so many compromises, you get a Great X but a poor Y.

JUST GET IT RIGHT!

Can't be that hard for a company like Roland, churning out quality products for years to sit down and design a decent tool that people really want, with hands on controls.

NO MORE MENU'S

Don't get me wrong i really like the VR 09, still may get it as best of bad lot, for price, but if I worked for these companies I would invest time reading threads and blogs, and then creating something people wanted as Casio seem to have done with PX5S, though even that has skimped on full organs bars, so again its all annoying compromises, but thats life!!!!

Now let's keep this thread on track with constructive and supportive information to help make the vr09 experience more enjoyable. I'm sure we have beat a dead horse to a pulp with the limitations.. and stock abilities. I feel bad for someone starting on page 1 of this thread.

With all due respect, the title of this thread is "Roland V-Combo VR-09". Posts can be about anything that has to do with this product (customer support included). For you, or anyone else, to chastise fellow Forum members for not offering "constructive and supportive information" seems to be a bit judgmental.

I could argue that some members have also beaten the dead horse with their comments about how "great" this instrument is... But won't because its their right to say anything they want about this subject. I can take their opinions for what they are, or just don't read them. My choice...

Just because you may not agree with someone's opinions does not mean you can censor their viewpoints. That's the beauty of free speech.

True enough. I guess I'm in the post purchase phase of things now. Maybe time to start a vr09 tips and tricks thread (and when I say tips.. I don't mean go buy a px5s.. lol).

Jay

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

I really think Roland should have made VR-09 a bit more of a premium product, 76 semi weighted, aftertouch, organ bars, arps, same sounds but more supernatural,Decent Pianos! Rhodes, EPs, classic vintage organs, keys and synths, more editable synth controls with filters, lfos, waves etc i.e a proper synth section, all organs, synths etc editable in large black and white screen, same splits etc but with assignable effects for each, even more effects with knobs, tremlo, chorus, chuck in a vocoder and audio input to use synth filters and now you have one hell of a product!!

Ok and charge $1500 for it

Why can't either yamaha, korg or Roland do that??

Its seems a deliberate ploy not to put all this stuff togehter so that you are forced to buy more products, or there is so many compromises, you get a Great X but a poor Y.

JUST GET IT RIGHT!

Can't be that hard for a company like Roland, churning out quality products for years to sit down and design a decent tool that people really want, with hands on controls.

NO MORE MENU'S

Don't get me wrong i really like the VR 09, still may get it as best of bad lot, for price, but if I worked for these companies I would invest time reading threads and blogs, and then creating something people wanted as Casio seem to have done with PX5S, though even that has skimped on full organs bars, so again its all annoying compromises, but thats life!!!!

All good points! Although $1500 would obviously miss their price point...

I totally agree with companies investing time on blogs...

But again, we may be thinking much too narrowly. I believe that Roland is more concerned with younger musicians who are used to and more accepting of disposable, compromised products with short life spans. The days of designing Hammond Organs that last over half a century are over....

Reminds me of a few months ago when I was shopping for a used BMW... Now I have owned my current BMW for over 15 years... (Bought it used as well)... So now when I told the salesman that I wanted to keep my new car for another 15 years... He thought I was crazy.... "Why not lease it?" Because I buy good cars and keep them for at least ten years... A truly "old fashioned" concept, I guess... Especially in this disposable world we now live in...

Just because you may not agree with someone's opinions does not mean you can censor their viewpoints. That's the beauty of free speech.

I felt I was QUITE censored when I reported some obvious facts about this board.

I agree with Dave, because I believe in free speech - particularly when there are some obvious red flags on the VR 09 that some people might benefit from being aware of.

With all due respect, no one has been censored. They may have been criticized, and had suggestions made that they should not make repetitive comments, but everyone's views have been clearly visible for all to see, and will surely remain so, as long as the site owners and moderators permit it.

With all due respect, no one has been censored. They may have been criticized, and had suggestions made that they should not make repetitive comments, but everyone's views have been clearly visible for all to see, and will surely remain so, as long as the site owners and moderators permit it.

No, but we have been pressured to censor ourselves... Good luck with that!

I got to try one today and have to admit, I was blown away that a $1000 combo keyboard could sound so good. Yes, I wish the keys felt like the XK3c and I wish the piano sounded like the RD700NX and that the synth had the same amount of knobs that my T1 has. But seriouslly, it is $1000. You have to cut a lot of corners to come in at that price. I'd recommend it to anyone with a limited budget.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

No one has been censored. Its one of the best threads I've ever read about a new instrument, by people who have bought it and used it, and posted all its good points & shortcomings, compred to other boards etc, its been incredibly valuable, far better than any 'review' in a sponsored magazine,

These forums are a great place for EVERYONE to have a say. You are free to agree, disagree, have an opinion.

Its been very helpful, before & after i've played it myself. More of this is great, its what makes the world go round!

Again suggesting that there is censorship on this thread is ridiculous! No one has the ability to censor anyone, except the moderator. That said a number of us have tried desperately to keep this thread on track, and make sure its productive and informative. To that end we've suggested the following:

1. If you have a criticism, by all means post it, but don't waste everyone's time by posting the same thing over and over again (close to 50 times in the case of one poster who likes changing his name)

2. If you have a criticism try to be reasonable and put into perspective... Save your "oh my Gods" for the next global disaster (and a minor problem with the C/V does not warrant a "buyer beware" LX88)

3. Remember that the VR-09 is selling for less than $1000, so don't criticize it because it doesn't have the same features as a $3000 digital piano or dedicated hammond organ clone, and don't expect it to be built like a Sherman tank!

4. Lets not unfairly target Roland, for everything that you think is wrong with the retail music industry! (Hammonddave)

All the above BS just gets in the way of the VR-09 owners, and those who might be interested in one, having productive discussions about the product!

This is not censorship, it is a polite suggestion, intended to try to get us back on track... ONCE AGAIN!!!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Again suggesting that there is censorship on this thread is ridiculous! No one has the ability to censor anyone, except the moderator. That said a number of us have tried desperately to keep this thread on track, and make sure its productive and informative. To that end we've suggested the following:

1. If you have a criticism, by all means post it, but don't waste everyone's time by posting the same thing over and over again (close to 50 times in the case of one poster who likes changing his name)

2. If you have a criticism try to be reasonable and put into perspective... Save your "oh my Gods" for the next global disaster (and a minor problem with the C/V does not warrant a "buyer beware" LX88)

3. Remember that the VR-09 is selling for less than $1000, so don't criticize it because it doesn't have the same features as a $3000 digital piano or dedicated hammond organ clone, and don't expect it to be built like a Sherman tank!

4. Lets not unfairly target Roland, for everything that you think is wrong with the retail music industry! (Hammonddave)

All the above BS just gets in the way of the VR-09 owners, and those who might be interested in one, having productive discussions about the product!

This is not censorship, it is a polite suggestion, intended to try to get us back on track... ONCE AGAIN!!!

"Back on track"? And what track is that? One that you approve of? maybe one that Roland would like to see? As Steve Martin used to say... "Well EXCCCUUUUUSSSEEE ME!"

Regarding your comment: "4. Lets not unfairly target Roland, for everything that you think is wrong with the retail music industry! (Hammonddave)"

I don't think I have done that... What Roland is doing is not what is happening with all companies in the music industry. In fact, (as I have pointed out in my post) Yamaha has Brad Mister helping its customers... Casio has Mike Martin helping theirs... Roland has... some guy on their blog that seems to deflect criticisms by teasing its customers that they can expect expanded sounds on Friday, then when Friday rolls around says... "Oh yeah.. just not for your board." Nothing about an updated operating system...

But seriously, I suggest that if you want to limit this discussion to what is great about the VR-09, start a "VR-09 Tips and Tricks" thread... No problem here... Believe me, you won't see me on that thread...

Until that time, please don't try to limit our discussions and rights to free speech.

"Back on track"? And what track is that? One that you approve of? maybe one that Roland would like to see? As Steve Martin used to say... "Well EXCCCUUUUUSSSEEE ME!"

But seriously, I suggest that if you want to limit this discussion to what is great about the VR-09, start a "VR-09 Tips and Tricks" thread... No problem here... Believe me, you won't see me on that thread...

Until that time, please don't try to limit our discussions and rights to free speech.

More BS from Hammonddave! Roland VR-09 that is "on track"

Craig MacDonald

More BS from Hammonddave! Roland VR-09 that is "on track"

Craig... I am talking about the "Roland VR-09"... You just don't like what I am saying about it...

But I will allow your own words posted only two days ago make my point:

"I CAN NOT use this as the all-in-one keyboard that it was designed to be, because of the expression pedal problem and some of these other quirky issues. As it stands it will only be used as a backup keyboard for me, and I had higher hopes when I bought it.."

Your words... not mine...

Hammonddave, I have said the exact same thing here... Why do you feel the need to post a quote of mine here and further waste our time....?

If I start a VR-09 hints and tips thread do you promise not to participate???

Craig MacDonald

Hammonddave, I have said the exact same thing here... Why do you feel the need to post a quote of mine here and further waste our time....?

Because you have not said it here... In fact, you continually praise this as a "performance keyboard"... Please don't waste our time with attempting to recreate history...

If I start a VR-09 hints and tips thread do you promise not to participate???

Hey, I won't give up my right of free speech for anything...

Let's just say that not being an owner of that instrument and totally uninterested in tips and tricks... I would have to be really bored to check out that thread... and I have better things to do.

I just find it sad that my motives seem to be lost on some people here... I am not railing against you or anyone else... I am just trying to pressure Roland into doing the right thing.