Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Krome: Selective pitch-bend, using only the joystick

icarusi

I finally got this to work today:-

Selective pitch-bend, using only the joystick

You can also use a single AMS source as both the Control Source and a value source:

1.Set the Control Sourceto JS X.

2.Set Control At Note-On Only to On (checked).

3.Set the Threshold to 00.

4.Set Below Threshold to AMS A:JS X.

5.Set At & Above Threshold to a Fixed Value of 00.

6. On the OSC Pitch page, assign the AMS Mixer to control the pitch.

7.With the joystick in the center, play a chord, and hold it through step 9.

8.Bend the joystick to the left, and then play a new note above the chord.

(If the pitch changes, go to the OSC Pitch page and set Pitch JS(+X) and JS(X)to +00.)

9.Use the joystick to bend the pitch of the new note.

The new note will bend, but the original chord (played before you bent the joystick down)will not.This method is particularly good for bending the top note of a chord up to pitch.

It's in the Parameter Guide p50 but as usual they omit a vital step to increase the AMS 'intensity' (P2:pitch) to +/- 2.0 (for a +/- wholetone bend).

Anything played before touching the joystick is unbent, as soon as the joystick is moved anyway left the next note(s) are bent according to the X-left point. Chords sustained with a damper pedal will sustain unbent, anything played after a joystick X-left move is bent.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the first I've heard of that aside from Kurzweil's key based pitch bend, which dates back at least to the PC88. It's the only kind of pitch bend that interests me much.

Notes held with the fingers bend. Notes held with the pedals don't. I posted this clip of trying to play some twangy electric piano on a PC2x a few years ago.

--wmp

Newer Rolands can also do this and the Ensoniq MR- and ZR-series as well.

Anyway - thanks for the tip! I'm a just about to buy a used M3-88, so I guess this would be possible on that to.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Newer Rolands can also do this and the Ensoniq MR- and ZR-series as well.

Do you know how it's implemented on Rolands, and which models?

I altered a 2 voice string patch, with each voice bending apart and it works with the SPB tweak, but symmetrical now, whereas the original patch could resolve to different diad intervals, up from down, still impressive though, changing which 2 notes of the same 4-note chord to strike after the bender move, for a 6 note chord, with those 2 notes glissing to 4 new pitches.

• 1 month later...

I altered a 2 voice string patch, with each voice bending apart and it works with the SPB tweak, but symmetrical now, whereas the original patch could resolve to different diad intervals, up from down, still impressive though, changing which 2 notes of the same 4-note chord to strike after the bender move, for a 6 note chord, with those 2 notes glissing to 4 new pitches.

Some demos of SPB, 2-way bend and progressive vibrato using AMS:-

I know the Roland AX-synth has a dedicated button on the back of the handle called "bender mode" and there you select whether you will have traditional pitch bend or just a single note.

I'm not quite sure which other Rolands has it - I think this was introduced with the AX-synth and I've seen it mentioned for some newer Rolands, but I don't remember which ones.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Still haven't tried it, but I see now that the description above is also in the M3 parameter guide on p74. :)

Notes held with the fingers bend. Notes held with the pedals don't.

Do you have to take your fingers off the notes held with the pedal to make that work, or is it as soon as you hit the pedal, the notes currently pressed won't respond to the bender until the pedal's released?

Well, I've tried the instruction on my Korg M3 - it works, but I was dissapointed...

1. It only works if you bend first and then play a note... I usually play the note, then bend, so no luck for me.

2. If you follow the instruction you can it will work on bend down only, not bend up. I fooled around a bit and got it to instead work on bend up, but not bend down... I would like it to work on both up and down bend, but I doesn't seem possible. If anyone has any other tricks let me know! :)

So, after some practice you might have some use for this, but it won't let you just bend the last note, like I hoped for.

Another disappoitment - the EXB-Radias doesn't seem to have AMS parameters needed, so it will only work on EDS (sampled) sounds.

Notes held with the fingers bend. Notes held with the pedals don't.

Do you have to take your fingers off the notes held with the pedal to make that work, or is it as soon as you hit the pedal, the notes currently pressed won't respond to the bender until the pedal's released?

Luckily I have an old PC88 too :) so I can verify that you have to release the note before bending, otherwise all note will bend.

It makes more sense to set the pedal to CC#66 (sostenuto) instead of sustain - then can sustain a chord and play single notes freely over the sustained notes, instead of have a growing cluster of held notes...

2. If you follow the instruction you can it will work on bend down only, not bend up. I fooled around a bit and got it to instead work on bend up, but not bend down... I would like it to work on both up and down bend, but I doesn't seem possible. If anyone has any other tricks let me know! :

It seems to work on 'anything' left-of-centre starts the operation, so a slight nudge left, before playing the note, followed by a full move right gives an up bend.

It seems to work on 'anything' left-of-centre starts the operation, so a slight nudge left, before playing the note, followed by a full move right gives an up bend.

Oh, I have to try it again some time. After this first try I felt as I have to change my playing quite a bit to make this bending technique to work.

Archived