Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Puzzling Pedal Choice

Brandon S

That does sound nice, and very versatile; Option 5 pedals are fantastic. In particular I love their Destination Rotation Single (an all-analog sim of a Fender Vibratone/Leslie 16 single-speaker rotary-cab). I've played through one, loved it, nearly bought it, but bought a Boss RT-20 instead only because I specifically wanted the complex dual spinning-horn/rotating-baffled speaker sound of a Leslie 122/147. I very nearly bought them both. Kinda wish I had.

By the way, Brandon, are you going to get a different amp for all these pedals to be hittin'?

And by the way, Brandon, for someone who doesn't want to be mistaken

for being in a Hendrix cover band, you sure look a lot like

James Marshall Hendrix...

Johnny Jimi James Marshall Allen Hendrixhttp://wallpaperpassion.com/upload_thumb/20593/jimi-hendrix-wallpaper.jpg:rawk:;):D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure about whether to get another amp or not. I currently have a Fender G-DEC Junior which I feel accomplishes what I need. I asked Steevo about whether I should get an amp anytime soon and he asked if I was planning to play live anytime soon and I said no. From what I understand if I were to upgrade my amp, it would be to make it "bigger," and I only need it bigger if I am going to be playing anywhere besides my room anytime soon. I kind of like the Fender G-DEC Junior. Has Fender Tweed, Blackface and 5 other types of amp settings.

If I were to get a new one it would be a marshall, only because that's what most of my musical icons use.

You remind me of someone too Caevan.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Glenn Quagmire's cooler older brother maybe?

Yeah, I'm Kev Quagmire, aka Qevmire, his cooler older brother that has cool pedals and gets more action than Glenn does... giggity-KerrRRAAANG... !!

I am Giggitus. :rawk:

Let's just hope for Giggitus's sake that the women he attracts aren't Roman and don't like to get him pinned to things. (Particularly crosses)

No, no, I'm the loud lead-Giggitus, ehr, guitarist in the loud Hawaiian shirt, I don't get pinned to things or (vice-verse), I just get offered free drinks and asked for my phone number... :rimshot:

But I digress; pedals, pedals, anyone dig pedals... ? ;):thu:

I'm not sure about whether to get another amp or not. I currently have a Fender G-DEC Junior which I feel accomplishes what I need. I asked Steevo about whether I should get an amp anytime soon and he asked if I was planning to play live anytime soon and I said no. From what I understand if I were to upgrade my amp, it would be to make it "bigger," and I only need it bigger if I am going to be playing anywhere besides my room anytime soon.

Good move, Brandon, on not upgrading your amp, until you need to. Honestly, it seems like the only thing your G-Dec lacks, for now, is a Line Out, which would let you plug into a PA or mixing board. In a small club, or open-mic space, you can drive nails into the far wall with a 60-watt SS amp, or maybe a 15/25-watt tube amp. Those 100-watt stacks are for really big halls, or really big egos.

You''ll also get more tone out of a smaller amp, particularly if you go with tubes. Duane Allman came to prefer 50-watt amps over the 100-watt amps he'd been using, because it was easier to overdrive the 50's, for that warm tone he wanted.

BTW, what are you thinking in terms of a pedalboard, or power supplies? That's going to be the next step, if you're assembling a string of effects pedals. There are lots of options, as far as pedalboards, with and without power supplies, starting at around $40-50, and going up into the hundreds. I like Pedaltrain boards, but here's another, much cheaper option, that really works - IKEA - Gorm Shelf 2-pack. Get a roll of 2-inch Velcro, add some rubber feet to the underside, maybe a shim to raise the rear a bit, and you're set. These shelving units have their own fan base, among pedalboard users, so they're worth checking out.

Okay, Caevan, we're back in pedal territory . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

You''ll also get more tone out of a smaller amp, particularly if you go with tubes. Duane Allman came to prefer 50-watt amps over the 100-watt amps he'd been using, because it was easier to overdrive the 50's, for that warm tone he wanted.

One of the reasons I'm considering downsizing my amp right now...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

One of the reasons I'm considering downsizing my amp right now...

Yeah, if you 'upscaled' to another amp, I'd say that for the types of tones and musical styles you're (Brandon) into, anywhere from 4 to 20 or 30 watts or so (I'm talking tube-amps here, though) should easily do you very well.

But of course it makes sense for you not to be in a hurry there; I just thought you'd mentioned something about looking for a different amp before.

How does your G-DEC Junior work with pedals?

Archived