Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What chord is this?

Harvey K

Band I'm going to sit in with just added Ronnie Laws' "Night Breeze" to set. Gave me a chord sheet but it's wrong. Says Bb7 but after listening to the tune I determined it's actually Bb7 plus G and maybe plus E as well. What's the proper way to refer to this chord? Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, no, Steve, you DIDN'T! I haven't been active in this forum for a long time (life intruded), but I remembered reading through pages and pages of debate as to how to "properly" refer to a certain chord and, sure enough, you linked to that amazing thread. :-)

Meanwhile, I just learned the horn parts from "Beginnings" from Chicago -- 41 years after I bought the album. Even sillier, I'll also be playing "Colour My World," which may very well be the first "rock" song I ever figured out by ear ... back in 1970.

Just to be clear.

If you listen closer to the Ronnie Laws track you've cited, you will hear that the chord actually has the Bb7 you heard, plus G, C and E.

It is in fact the very same chord that I cited in the Great Hall of Shame thread, so I linked to it. There you will find every imaginable interpretation of what to call that chord. :laugh:

As the unschooled, undisciplined, Blues/Rock ear player that I am, I still like C/Bb7, but I'm equally comfortable with the Bb13 #11 that is preferred by those who read notes for a living :cool:

Just seeing your reply now, Steve. (Life keeps intruding.) Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize it was indeed the exact same chord with which you opened up that GHOS can o' worms back in '06. Btw, I'm absolutely going to steal your "unschooled, undisciplined, Blues/Rock ear player" description, because it also fits me to a T (tee? tea?).

Archived