Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

eBay advice needed

stoken6

Yesterday I put an old board for sale on the bay. Ok condition but not perfect, pickup only, and a low opening price.

Within an hour, a user posts me a message, along the lines of "if I pay you twice the asking in cash, can I pick it up tomorrow?". Not only that, his user name is the same as the make/model of my board!

I checked his history, he's got a few hundred transactions under his belt. But that user name "coincidence" (?) freaks me out a bit.

So I reckon my options are:

A. Grab the offer, despite being against eBay rules

B. Assume if he's that keen, offer a higher price

C. Cancel the listing and relist with a Buy It Now

D. Ignore the message, and wait for legitimate bids

E. Report the guy for flouting the rules

I rarely sell on the bay, so I'm a bit green on these matters. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Mike

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that's a price you'd be happy with, I'd add the Buy It Now. If he's legit, everyone will get what they want, and the transaction is still safe. If he's not, no harm done except about a dollar or whatever to list the Buy It Now option. And once you do that, even if he disappears, someone else may buy it. Some people don't like to wait for auctions to end and only do BINs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived