Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SH550 review

Fred_C

Hey Gentlemen,

Please find pasted below the text of an email that I just sent to Barry Cleveland.

In actuality, I don't really expect a response. It's pretty clear that the editorial staff pays absolutely no attention whatsoever to subscriber emails.

Good Morning Barry,

Thank you for your insightful and informative review of the Carvin SH550.

I would like to make one observation. The AAAA flame maple top is not an upgrade. That's the default top. NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.

Barry, how did this guitar hit a $3,000.00 price point? It must be the maple body. Was the finish applied to the entire guitar or just to the top?

Out of curiosity, I visited the Carvin website and used their builder tool to build an SH550. There was no optional maple body available!! Where the hell did this thing come from? Was the review published to coincide with an upcoming marketing thrust?

Anyway, in my opinion your assessment was absolutely correct. The SH550 represents an incredible value and deserved the Editor's Pick Award.

Regards.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting points. You might want to also post this (copy and paste it for your convenience) over on the Guitar Player Editors' Office Forum, as well.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caevan,

Well, Okay. But I think it's a waste of time. I don't believe that anyone actually monitors that forum. It's a black hole. Information goes in, but nothing ever comes out.

Regards.

Well, I can see why you'd say that; but to be fair, they did the 12 string roundup article in response to a posted request there...

I'm betting that $3000 price tag is a MSRP- in other words, the price Carvin suggests you use to compare to other makers' products.

You may be right...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm betting that $3000 price tag is a MSRP- in other words, the price Carvin suggests you use to compare to other makers' products.

Hi Danny,

I can't agree with you on this. In the specifications block on the left hand side of the page, it says, "Price $3002 direct (base price without options $1769.)". So, if it is functioning as an MSRP, they would be comparing apples with oranges on the base price without options quote.

Regards.

Hey Sharkman and Caevan,

"It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong."

I admit that I misjudged the willingness of the editorial staff to communicate with subscribers. I was wrong and freely admit and deeply regret my error.

Please find pasted below the response from Barry Cleveland to my inquiry. Actually, I am no closer to understanding what the story is with this guitar. But I really do appreciate the response.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the response.

This fact check was sent a number of weeks ago, however, so the opportunity to make changes to the review has long passed.

Art Thompson received the guitar from someone at Carvin, accompanied by a document stating specifically what the options were and the associated costs. He isn't in the office today, so I can't ask him who it was.

Anyway, I'm glad that you are happy with the review (and the Editors' Pick Award).

Thanks,

Barry

Fred, this isn't like most websites. The people who run this place, and the people who post messages here, are all hardcore guitar enthusiasts. They actually care about both the magazine and the forums here. That's why this is one of my favorite websites to visit regularly.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Hey Sharkman,

Yeah I have been a member for about 2 years now and have really enjoyed this forum. There have been alot of very interesting threads and it has been immediately apparent that the people on this forum know what they're talking about.

That being said, the track record of the staff in responding to emails/postings has not been exactly stellar. In the past two years, I have sent two emails to Michael Molenda and have yet to receive the courtesy of a response. In an effort to get a little more information on purchasing a hollow body, I posted a request that they somehow communicate how I might reach Dave Hunter on the Editor's Office forum with no response. Hence, my cynicism.

BTW: I STILL do not have any answers to any of my questions.

Play well, my friend. :)

Archived