Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-700NX v2.0

torhu

There's a new firmware, version 2.0:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=RD-700NX&id=61922234

It turns out the RD-700NX has room for 200 user live sets instead of 100, and 350 preset live sets instead of 300. Which means that they decided to pretend it didn't originally. Well, the 100 extra user live sets can probably come in handy. And the 300 original preset live sets were never very impressive, it's easy to do better than them. Most of them use only one of the four available layers, etc. Maybe the 50 new ones will do the NX more justice.

And there's now an iPad app for programming the board. But you have to buy a new wireless connector accessory to use it. The NX has got two perfectly good USB ports. But no, Roland wants you to cash out in order to get this feature (external editor) that ought to be standard by now.

Anyone feel like trying out this update and reporting back? :/

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a new firmware, version 2.0:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=RD-700NX&id=61922234

And there's now an iPad app for programming the board. But you have to buy a new wireless connector accessory to use it. The NX has got two perfectly good USB ports. But no, Roland wants you to cash out in order to get this feature (external editor) that ought to be standard by now.

Anyone feel like trying out this update and reporting back? :/

Real nice of them... maybe they could get around to providing a version that would run on a good old fashioned Windows PC.

Then again, maybe not.... :mad:

-Mike

Wow.... Dave Ferris is not pulling any punches here!

The only thing is, I tend to agree with what he is saying. When I tried the super natural piano samples I did hear extreme overtones myself ( I can't remember on which notes, though they are probably ones that Dave mentioned.)

Occasionally I find that it is the playback source that can also be the culprit, such as overly bright headphones or speakers.

The bottom line for me was that I also decided to pass on the Super Naturals as an option at a time when I really was looking to purchase an instrument because of the overtones. Which was too bad because otherwise I thought that the RD700NX had a nice, open sort of sound in general.

Would be interesting to know if the new DP-90 (S or not) has an improved piano sound, but I guess there's nowhere to go to try them out yet. I get by just fine with the Studio Grand on my NX, though.

I think the Concert Grand sound is the same as it was before the update. But then I haven't really been using it for some time, so maybe I'm mistaken. The Ab above middle C still sticks out.

Maybe this update is more interesting to iPad owners than to the rest of us. The doubling of live set save slots is nice, but I probably haven't used more than 15 or 20 anyway.

The new synth live sets are at numbers 301 through 350. The SYNTH category button now starts at 301 by default, which I assume means that Roland feels the new sounds are better at showcasing what the NX can do than the original sounds. I won't disagree with that.

It turns out the RD-700NX has room for 200 user live sets instead of 100, and 350 preset live sets instead of 300. Which means that they decided to pretend it didn't originally.

I just realized that there's one obvious thing that could explain why they went with only 100 user live sets originally: It sort of matches the numbers on the buttons. Button 0 (zero) is live sets 1-10, button 1 is 11-20, button 2 is 21-30, etc. After the update there is now 20 live sets on each button, which completely breaks this system.

Maybe this won't be a problem, though. I think what I've actually done all along is to remember which button a sound is on, not which number it has. My favorite solo sounds will still be on button 6, and so on.

Archived