Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How many fingers for fingerstyle?

Fred_C

I don't know if you guys have noticed the weekly poll on the guitarplayer website. It asks the musical question, "how many fingers do you use to play fingerstyle?"

I think it's completely style dependent. If I'm playing Chord Melody Jazz, I play with a thumb and three. If I'm playing Travis style, I play with a thumb and two.

What do you guys think?

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, I learned by firmly planting my pinky finger on the guitar, to keep my hand from floating around, and using my thumb and three fingers to pluck. After doing this for well over 29 years, I've recently been trying to free up and use my pinky. It can be a little bit sketchy at times, but I am getting it.

So, to answer the question, I use 4 fingers reliably and all five occasionally.

Hey Craig,

Yeah. I was taught to plant my 4th (pinky)finger on the face of the guitar when I play Travis style (Thumb and two) but usually don't when I'm playing Thumb and three.

Can't use the 4th finger on my right hand worth a damn.

I use them all but I was taught by my classical guitar professor in college. A lot of the etudes and drills she taught were designed around this.

I can't use finger picks though. I think Bobbe and I are the only guys in the world who don't use picks on pedal steel.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I use thumb and three fingers most often because I play classical. The pinky only comes in for rasgueados. On steel string and electric I often use hybrid, pick and two fingers. Thumb and three fingers is pretty versatile, but there are no rules.

I can't use thumb and finger picks either CEB, I wish I could, it would make some steel string things much easier.

I can't use thumb and finger picks either CEB, I wish I could, it would make some steel string things much easier.

I've also never felt comfortable with fingerpicks on. I learned classical thumb & 3 finger articulation about 45 years ago & that's what I still do now, except it's all on electric. Can't do $#)t with my right pinky.

Scott Fraser

Unfortunately, I learned by firmly planting my pinky finger on the guitar, to keep my hand from floating around, and using my thumb and three fingers to pluck. After doing this for well over 29 years, I've recently been trying to free up and use my pinky. It can be a little bit sketchy at times, but I am getting it.

So, to answer the question, I use 4 fingers reliably and all five occasionally.

I have the same misfortune. Best I can do is thumb and three.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Hybrid picking for the most part, and fingerstyle for slide and some country stuff. I've always planted my pinky for consistant hand positioning. It would be cool to be able to use my pinky fluently, but at my age I'm comfortable with the thumb and three and don't really want to attempt to re-invent the wheel. :rawk:

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Mostly I do thumb and three fingers; occasionally I use the right hand pinky when comping.

My classical technique is pretty primitive. I LOVE to hear it though, and dabble in classical pieces; sometimes with a pick if it's all single lines.

I got a great book on fingerpicking recently and am starting on the beginning exercises, some of which are quite easy and others pretty awkward... I forget the name of it, but it explains a lot about theory etc. too. And it covers a variety of styles.

I had a video of Joe Pass live, but I gave it away, so I can't review it - what kind of technique did Joe use? Maybe I can google something, and Lenny Breau also.

I use anywhere from one to all four (all five, counting "p", my thumb). I often use a nail like a pick, most often "i" (index) or "m" (middle). Occasionally I use "p"/thumb like Wes did. I use nails, fingertips, and combinations of both.

I never use a pick of any kind, not counting my nails. I cannot stand fingerpicks and absolutely LOATH the feel of artificial nails- tried 'em once, HATED 'em.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I love fingerstyle jazz in the Jobim style,

Hey Skip,

Yeah, I really dig that Brazilian sound too! So laid back. So cool sounding. :thu:

Ya, I think I got hooked back in the fusion era. Flora Purim and Airto, Tania Maria, Milton Nasciamento-awesome stuff.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

The pinky only comes in for rasgueados.

Sounds like you play some Flamenco, my friend. What powerful and passionate music. I REALLY dig it.

Many years ago, I had to good fortune to go to Lisbon, Portugal. While I was there, I went to a "Fado" restaurant. Fado is the Flamenco of Portugal and it's hot stuff. There is a small string combo backing a female vocalist. You don't need to speak Portugese to understand what the songs are about. They're about love triangles and knife fights/stabbings. The vocalist would often make a stabbing motion with her arm while at an emotional climax in the music. Man-oh-man, Hot Stuff!

I don't know much about Flamenco except for what I heard on a couple of Carlos Montoya records I had.

I did a masterclass with a guy name Ronald Radford back in the 80's. He was an American who studied in Spain. I thought of it as mostly a branch of classical music but he educated on it's true nature. In Spain it is real drinking, dancing party music. And it is really cool.

YouTube is cool. This is the guy he was really young back then. I guess it has been a while LOL.

[video:youtube]

I thought he was pretty good at the time but I didn't know jack about Flamenco except for a couple of Montoya records and the Paco De Lucia stuff that appeared on Al DiMeola records.

I still don't know jack but it sounds good to me.

Re: flamenco. In the opinion of many people, the best ever was Sabicas - you can see him on YouTube. Paco de Lucia and Paco Pena have a high regard for him.

Flamenco was the music of gypsies in Spanish, social outcasts. It was definitely party music, and the vocals and dancing were just as important as the guitar playing. But Carlos Montoya brought purely instrumental flamenco to the U.S., which is about all that most of us here care about, not understanding the lyrics or the culture.

My wife's boss at the time invited me and Janeth to dinner for her birthday at a Spanish restaurant, and the entertainment was flamenco, complete with vocals and VERY NOISY dancing; the guitarist seemed pretty good to me, no great virtuoso, but he was playing authentically, I assume.

I doubt if most Americans know anything about the proper flamenco rhythms etc.; we just like the music and are dazzled by how FAST they play, LOL!

8 + 2 thumbs

How about on slide just using 5 + 1 thumb (not counting dampining or playing below the slide techniques)?

Good point! 8+2+lips tongue and teeth and maybe even a toe in the second set after 4 beers.

Yeah - OK enough of the funny stuff.

I actually never drop my pick. So, I typically use 3 fingers (pinky included) and the pick.

As a matter of fact, my right hand index finger and thumb have close clipped nails, the other three are long. To me, the long nails are important when keeping the pick. The tone is closer.

8 + 2 thumbs

How about on slide just using 5 + 1 thumb (not counting dampining or playing below the slide techniques)?

Good point! 8+2+lips tongue and teeth and maybe even a toe in the second set after 4 beers.

:D:thu:

"What other weapons does he have? He needs his hands free, for, 'stuff'... "

________ [video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4VrVWfpm08

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

From now on we have to use Hands-Free devices when we play guitar so we can multi task? I would like to have seen her face to see why he preferred the helmet...and just when we were starting to get serious again... :crazy:
Take care, Larryz

Archived