Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gamemusic independent CD release - Legal question

TaurusT

I've composed a soundtrack for a game. I own the rights to the music and recordings. I'm thinking of putting the music into an independent barcoded CD-release with additional exclusive tracks so not only people with the game can listen to it, but others can buy it too. I'm guessing that any screenshots for the cover-art or even the use of the game's name would be copyright infringement. However I wonder if it would be disallowed to use an abbreviation of the games name - separation it from the legal name in that way? Let's say "Lord of The Rings: Smeagols Cooking Adventures" would be "LOTR: SCA Soundtrack" with a handrawn/painted nature background inspired from the game's environment, but avoiding any trademark landmarks / typical defining buildings/characters/structures/logos etc from the game so there's no copyright infringement there either, but atleast sets the mood of the game with the front cover.

Do you think using the "LOTR: SCA Soundtrack" would be copyright infringement? And, just in case, is there any way to check if certain abbreviations are already copyrighted?

An alternative would be to rename the entire CD to something completely different and unrelated, but I'm just checking my options.

Thanks for any input,

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived