Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hello from a new member

PinkFloydDudi

Searched the rules and didn't see whether introduction threads were encouraged or not, so figured if not, could always delete it!

Name is Brian and I am the keyboard player, manager, booking agent, and all that other business stuff for a Dave Matthews Tribute Band out of Rochester, NY.

In browsing the forum, I see there are at least 2 members who are from the area with 1 in a band whose name I recognize (Soul On Tap).

By day, I am a manager at Xerox in the IT world and like many I'm sure, my weekend-warrior hobby is a musician. Grew up classically trained but after getting sick of not being able to play what I wanted, quit by age 12. Took up guitar on my own at age 14, and by age 16, realized I was just no good at it.

Skip down a few years and after college I was playing some video games and came to a point where I needed a new hobby. Found my first "real" keyboard on craigslist, 2 days later answered a band ad looking for keyboards, and 6 years later here I am.

For a long time my main board was a Korg Triton ProX, which I loved. I very much enjoy playing many different manufacturers however as you will see with my equipment list, I do have a preference towards Korg!

Loved the Triton, and I picked up a Korg CX3 a few years ago. After a festival gig on a sandy beach, the CX3 started booting up with an error so it is currently sitting in my basement waiting for a repair someday.

Well then a few months ago, I picked up the Korg Kronos. If they weren't all on the same power switch, my Triton wouldn't even be turned on since I got it. I love the Kronos to say the least. (73 key weighted).

I have your typical "home studio" in my basement with a nice multi-tier stand for all my keyboards. My Kronos is my 1 and only main board at this point for gigging.

I use IEM's for gigs, and own a Shure PSM 200 system with SCL5 earbuds. I also own (and LOVE) my MoTu 828mk3 lite digital mixer on stage.

I initially found this place after I searched for a way to improve the default programs of the CX3 engine within the Kronos. I feel the presets really just lack some things and have found some good resources on ways to improve them.

Anyway, look forward to discussing all things keyboards with folks here. Cheers and happy music making!

-Brian

Big Eyed Phish - Dave Matthews Tribute

www.bigeyedphish.com / www.facebook.com/bigeyedphish

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome, though the thread you're looking for is here. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hi Brian. Welcome to the forum. Do you know any of the guys in Soul On Tap?

I also play for The Coupe De Villes, Chris Beard Band, and Fat City.

Cheers,

Jon

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I think I do, but don't remember any particular names!

Edit** Just saw Mark is playing with you guys! I know him pretty well! See him a lot with his other tribute acts.

I do know and am friends with Jeff from the Coupe's though! And am aquiantances with John (their old keyboard player) as well as my father-in-law (randy wolf) knows Tommy very well.

Small world!

HEY ! - Rochester here as well (ok, canandaigua, but close enough) - I play with HAZER (old "Hayes Brothers Band") www.hazeronline.com - we play a lot in the fingerlakes area with a fairly good following, hope to get more into the Rochester scene as well ..Welcome Brian .. I too am a weekend rock and roll warrior . in IT here as well for my day job (work for HP .. Xerox used to be my account before compaq was purchased by HP) .. My rig is CX-3, Nord Lead2, Kurz PC1x, and KBR3-d ..

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

I'd be more than happy to host the Rochester folks here for a little "CX3 session".

I have only played a real B3/leslie once, so my ears are not very good at fine tuning the existing CX3 presets to turn them into very good programs.

I've heard some tweaks can be made to them to really make them sound even more amazing and would love to get together to discuss any change or tweaks either of you have made to yours to get to this!

Cheers again!

ps. for Rochester people - I also run a local website called Rochester Band Insider. There is now a facebook group for it that people use to promote their shows, meet up with musicians, etc... feel free to check it out:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/RochesterBandInsider/

You guys should organize a WNYKCFH. :) You could even invite some nearby Canadians, eh?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived