Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Funny: The Six Most Painful Scores of All Time

tarkus

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The live EL-Powell "Mars" was the loudest thing I'd heard in my life. Other than that, though, good show!

I always liked Cozy Powell (RIP) better than Carl Palmer. Cozy had a good drive for that music and could keep time. Carl Palmer is a terrible timekeeper and is frequently rushing the beat.

I always liked Cozy Powell (RIP) better than Carl Palmer. Cozy had a good drive for that music and could keep time. Carl Palmer is a terrible timekeeper and is frequently rushing the beat.

First, and probably last, time we agree on something.

One score that really disappointed me was the Lion King. I took the kids figuring at least I could listen to Elton John's music. Not his best work, IMHO. Not only were the tunes forgettable, but the rest of the score didn't seem to mesh with the movie.

I have to admit liking Circle of Life and Can You Feel the Love Tonight - but only EJ's single releases of them. They did nothing for me in the film. As to the score, IIRC that was Hans Zimmer's doing.

The worst score I remember in a movie that I otherwise liked quite a bit was GoldenEye. It absolutely sabotaged the film. My God, most of the time it sounded like Eric Serra was banging on garbage cans! He even butchered the classic "gun barrel" opening sequence. It almost robbed it of being a James Bond film altogether. They should have broken the bank to get John Barry back - Brosnan's eagerly-awaited debut deserved better.

-Mike

Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I thought the score for The Social Network was brilliant, although I do remember thinking at times that it seemed "forced," for lack of a better word, in the movie. Like what was going on musically didn't necessarily fit the scene. There's a difference between music that's good in general and music that serves the film. It's certainly no where even remotely close to being one of the worst scores of all time though. That was one the author probably just threw in there to add some life to the comments section. I do agree that Hans Zimmer's score for Inception should have won the Oscar though.

The Princess Bride, for example, which is another one I disagree with, is the polar opposite. The music itself is not what I'd call great, but it underscores the movie well. The fact that I've seen that movie umpteen thousand times and barley noticed the music is kind of a compliment, really.

Got to throw my two cent in here. "Thief" had a great score by Tangerine Dream, IMHO. One of the few synthesized scores that I thought really did fit the tone of the movie.

I agree it worked very well. Thief is an often forgot about movie, but it really is quite good. Though, Michael Mann did say working with Tangerine Dream was a headache.

On the flip side, I liked Dave Grusin's approach to The Firm. All acoustic piano, even the percussion sounds (may have been sampled but derived from tapping and knocking on the piano). Worked for me as most of the movie takes place in Memphis.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Synth Scores...

I'll reach all the way back to "Forbidden Planet"

From top to bottom, there is not one (humanly) recognizable melody.

First mainstream film to have the music performed entirely by electronic instruments.

Louis Barron and Bebe Barron worked on the electronic soundtrack music "tonalities" for only three months, the length of time given them by Dore Schary, head of MGM. He authorized the studio to send them a complete workprint at Christmas 1955. They received the complete 35mm Eastmancolor workprint at New Year's 1956, a week later, still with many visual effects sequences missing and timed in with blank leader by editor Ferris Webster. From January 1, 1956 to April 1, 1956, they worked on the soundtrack score in their Greenwich Village studio in New York City while the film was in post-production in Culver City. The score was completed and delivered to MGM on April 1, 1956, and the film was released for a studio sneak preview soon afterward. The musician's union, however, objected to the soundtrack, and blocked the Barrons from being credited as "composers", hence the term "electronic tonalities".

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

The guy's biases are on full display. Probably not a surprise given the site.

+1

While I agree with some of his comments, I do not agree with others. He very much seems to like anything that doesn't involve a live 19th century full orchestra.

Modern, pop, techno, metal, synthesizer..etc...are not "bad words" to use.

With that being said, man are some of his examples of "good" scores simply amazing.

I actually recently did my first movie score. We welcomed our first child a month ago, and due to that, I've had to cut back on the amount of touring/gigs our band did. Well to get my fix of music, I figured I would ask around a local film school to see if anyone wanted a score.

I got about 150 replies from a mass email sent by the head of the department and picked 1 movie to work with...

WOW is it a lot of work, but a TON of fun. Looking at a lot of Hanz Zimmer's stuff - it would be simply awesome to create something like that.

Movie scores + Korg Kronos is a whole lot of fun!

One score that really disappointed me was the Lion King. I took the kids figuring at least I could listen to Elton John's music. Not his best work, IMHO. Not only were the tunes forgettable, but the rest of the score didn't seem to mesh with the movie.

I have to admit liking Circle of Life and Can You Feel the Love Tonight - but only EJ's single releases of them. They did nothing for me in the film. As to the score, IIRC that was Hans Zimmer's doing.

The worst score I remember in a movie that I otherwise liked quite a bit was GoldenEye. It absolutely sabotaged the film. My God, most of the time it sounded like Eric Serra was banging on garbage cans! He even butchered the classic "gun barrel" opening sequence. It almost robbed it of being a James Bond film altogether. They should have broken the bank to get John Barry back - Brosnan's eagerly-awaited debut deserved better.

I think Circle of Life, and the opening scene of Lion King, was one of the most memorable scenes/scores from any Disney film personally. The rest of the score (damn that Zimmer!) was what I felt as fantastic.

Can you feel the love tonight - meh, yeah that one didn't do much.

The stampede scene? Great one!

I also think GoldenEye was weak. But I've ranted enough.

Poster: Moonglow

Actually, I can probably come up with one or two other scores that I may not favor from other famous classical composers.....seriously.

Yeah, just because it's from a classical composer doesn't necessary make it good. But I happen to love Ligeti and thought it fit well in Eyes Wide Shut. YMMV...

The Song Remains the Same. :D
Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert

In both cases, I would generally not refer to that as a score. I mean, one might call all movie music the score, but I would distinguish "source" from "score." If a character turns on the radio and we hear the music (such as in Reservoir Dogs), that's source, not score.

And most people wouldn't consider concert films at all, though ones that have scenes like The Song Remains the Same do.

[/pedant mode]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived