Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Adam A7X or Yamaha HS80M monitors?

Jazz+

Anybody know which are better for a Roland RD 700NX piano?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody know which are better for a Roland RD 700NX piano?

The one you like the sound of better. :idea:

Everyone has different ideas of what they want and like from a speaker, and none are wrong. The ADAMs and Yamahas each have their strengths and weaknesses, and what those are vary depending on who's listening, where they're placed, and what room they're in.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

That's not far off saying "Porsche 911 or Toyota Corolla?"

(Hint: the Adams are the Porsche :thu:)

According to this there is no contest.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

That's not far off saying "Porsche 911 or Toyota Corolla?"

(Hint: the Adams are the Porsche :thu:)

According to this there is no contest.

In my opinion, there is no contest. Of course, you're asking us to compare monitors at two wildly different price points, so that should be obvious to you, no? :snax:

I'm kinda excited about the Pelonis model 42 myself, at least the concept.

I'm using those with the 42LF sub these days....love 'em to bits. I also kept my original A7s, but I don't use them much.

Full disclaimer - the company I work with is the distributor for the Pelonis line....but I don't use them because we're the distributor. I use them because I think they're amazing. That's why we took the line on...

Studio monitors are too important to the recording/mixing process for their selection to be based on pretty much anything other than the way they sound in your room (and what you can afford, of course).

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I heard the Pelonis speakers at Gearfest, my annual excuse to go see dB (hi dB :wave: ). They are pretty freaky amazing. It's pretty unreal what comes out of them, particularly when you see how *tiny* they are. If I had the bread lying around, I'd be all over them. Mix in the sub, and you'd be hard pressed to find a better system for twice the price. Even without the sub, the 42s are badass.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Haven't heard the Adam but I'm sure they work well.

At NAMM 2011 Yamaha was running all their keyboards, CP 1/5/50 , Motif XFs, S90XSs , through the 80s on the floor at the Marriott . I don't know what the preamp stage was or if there was one, they might have been going direct. In any case the sound was good on a surprisingly quiet Sunday afternoon at NAMM.

Sometimes the top quality monitor isn't always the most flattering on a DP. My friend, where I do a fair amount of jingle work, has fairly high end Genelecs (don't know the model but they are older). He uses Ivory 2 with PT HD. We usually track right there in the control room on an older Yamaha P200. The sound coming back while I'm playing solo is not nice. Harsh and grating to my ears. When I play in the track it's cool, kinda blends right in.

I say this because, what is your purpose for monitors on a 700NX or other dp J+ ? If it's recording, the sound is going to change when you put it through a computer interface and A/D stage with preamps as opposed to just going into something like a Mackie 1202 mixer direct to the speakers.

If it's just for home playing, practicing and enjoyment, the Yamahas might be fine. For instance my Dyn Audio BM6As MKIIs sound like crapola, even using my Audio Upgrades modded Soundcraft Delta board, just running the Nord Piano or CP5 straight into them. Going into the A/D and monitoring on the D/A stages of the Audio Upgrades Tascam DVR -1000 converters, the sound is totally different...excellent.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Made a comparison and there is no comparison - the Adams sound absolutely amazing!

Archived