Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Did you ever...

Ross Brown

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. I actually take that as a good sign. Because then band members will pay more attention to what they are doing and you will have a great gig!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

No. I'm blessed to have bandmates who all share my value of "you don't cancel gigs."

Up to you, but I'd have a heart-to-heart talk with your band, tell 'em they need to bring their A game to the gig.

Between your last post and this one, Ross, I suspect you might have a bigger problem than a bad rehearsal; i.e., bandmates who are not as motivated to play out as you are. It's o.k. if guys just want to get together once a week, jam some tunes, have a couple beers, but not if you really want to play out.

My $00.02. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks Chad.... I almost never cancel gigs either.... Only ever cancelled one. Guitard crashed his car.... it was still drivable and the ice storm was letting up... he chose to not show... I had to cancel.... He thought I was a prick for asking him why he couldn't make it.

Yes, you are once again seeing some frustration from me. People come to rehearsal, unprepared. They make the same mistakes, play in the wrong key, even after the bass player tells them ... WTF? Then 1/4 of the way in they look at me and say "something is off"... They can't count measures in a blues tune .... I wish I was better so that better musicians would be begging me to play with them... Music life sucks right now...

I agree that often a crappy rehearsal can translate into a great gig. I am little tired of wondering what will happen at such an elementary level.

Played three songs at an open mic last week... it was video recorded... I shared it with the band. It is too bad to share here... The guy that posted it offered to pull it down off of You Tube..

Damn, I am grouchy today....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Never, fortunately. My first cancelled gig occurred about 16 months ago when the harp player/lead vocalist walked out as we were setting up (head case/time bomb I knew would eventually explode; he actually got physical with two of us). Our brand new guitarist, existing drummer and I weren't able to fill four sets, so we had to surrender.

However, I get your post-- there are maybe 2-3 times when I was actually embarrassed to be on stage with a player or band, though those were without forewarning.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

True story:

Last night at rehearsal, I popped a string on my usual instrument during a song, so I decided to switch over to my back-up, which is an equally high-quality piece of gear. However, it feels a little different (string tension, neck shape, etc), and I wasn't quite comfortable with it. I felt like I was wrestling with a sapling possessed with the spirit of a smallish goat who ate three full cans of Four Loko.

I had to concentrate on the technical aspects of playing so much that I really couldn't enjoy the music. In short, I felt like a hack... even more than usual. My bandmates played perfectly, and they were kind enough to say that they really didn't notice anything negative about my playing. I think they were just being nice.

The whole experience made me want to cancel shows, recording sessions, respiration...

So I get what you mean.

We'll jam again on Sunday, and I hope to redeem myself then.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Project Geezer gigs with me all the time, yet we manage somehow.

Fortunately, it's usually someone else that pulls the obvious faux pas. Like forgetting the second verse to "Running Down a Dream" (twice in two weeks).

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

True story:

Last night at rehearsal, I popped a string on my usual instrument during a song, so I decided to switch over to my back-up, which is an equally high-quality piece of gear. However, it feels a little different (string tension, neck shape, etc), and I wasn't quite comfortable with it. I felt like I was wrestling with a sapling possessed with the spirit of a smallish goat who ate three full cans of Four Loko.

I had to concentrate on the technical aspects of playing so much that I really couldn't enjoy the music. In short, I felt like a hack... even more than usual. My bandmates played perfectly, and they were kind enough to say that they really didn't notice anything negative about my playing. I think they were just being nice.

The whole experience made me want to cancel shows, recording sessions, respiration...

So I get what you mean.

We'll jam again on Sunday, and I hope to redeem myself then.

I wish there was a "Like" button on this forum.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Never bad enough to cancel a gig, but certainly bad enough to make me really nervous that we were going to suck. Somehow it always comes together for a gig, though.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Ross, I love you like a brother (and I only have a sister, so that is saying a lot) and I know you could really show me all four corners of the ring if it came to a bass battle.

Having said that: I also know what it is like to be in a self-destructive band in which the ONLY route is the one towards self-implosion. My kind-hearted advice: do SOMETHING about it. Either quit, reform around yourself of regroup the entire band around the new leader.

Take it from me: booking the same small stages will only get you a very LIMITED exposure ...

Best of luk;

David

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Ross, I love you like a brother (and I only have a sister, so that is saying a lot) and I know you could really show me all four corners of the ring if it came to a bass battle.

Having said that: I also know what it is like to be in a self-destructive band in which the ONLY route is the one towards self-implosion. My kind-hearted advice: do SOMETHING about it. Either quit, reform around yourself of regroup the entire band around the new leader.

Take it from me: booking the same small stages will only get you a very LIMITED exposure ...

Best of luk;

David

I will do something about it... if it doesn't take care of itself... the singer (also wife) said the same thing... She wants to put a bullet in its head, so to speak... I think it will die naturally...

On the bright side, I got an email today (late) from a drummer I know asking me to play bass in his trio... He is a talented well known drummer in this area... He has a guitar player that he says is very good.... I agreed to check it out...

The gig I have lined up next week is one in which playing badly could result in a problem.... rough crowd... I love it.... not...

Decided to play the gig coming up Friday. If it is terrible, then decision is easy. If it is great or good, then I will explore the question of "what makes the difference" and try to make sure we do whatever that is each time...

I will play my best and be a performer. Maybe someone needs a bass player and will like what I do....

Congrats! You've gotten all the "bad" notes out! Now only the "good" notes remain for the gig!

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Ross,

Next time you're out my way, let me know. I have a H#m that will regrow hair, then turn it white, then make it fall out.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...... thanks. i needed that.. Funny.

Archived