Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rack search

terra3

Wondering what the state of the art is in a rack that would present excellent acoustic and e-piano? Fair number of serious boards with keybeds, but I'm not all that aware of the rack models.

Comes from a desire to upgrade a P200 that uses both internal and ES Rack. I had the opportunity to try a couple of the newer boards of late and thought that most of the 'upgrade' was associated with the electronics/sounds rather than the keybed itself (MIDI'd these up to a P250 that they had used). Nice new boards, by all means, but if I could go the rack route, it may be an option that I'll use.

thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, the Motif Rack XS is my favorite piano in a rack module. Though I've never tried any software piano running in a Receptor, which I guess would also qualify for the category.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Though I've never tried any software piano running in a Receptor, which I guess would also qualify for the category.

I would think Receptor qualifies, but it is the software that you install that will dictate the comparison. The quality of the software pianos seems to vary greatly and it would be good to know exactly which VST you prefer before you spend the $$ on the Receptor and software. Don

Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

Out of interest,for that that have heard both, how do you find the ES R acoustic and ep's vs the XS R?

I think the APs in the XS-Rack are the strongest distinguishing feature in comparison to the ES-Rack. Much improved.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I may have to track this rack down for a demo.

I was going to rent a Korg Kronos for several months; an expensive buy in my books to just take a chance. But I'm conscious of what I'm hearing to be hardware issues (keybed, knobs, fans) that I don't 'buy' in a $4K board. Still might check it out, but you see the less expensive direction I'm looking at.

The Kronos or other workstation would be a swerve to get the same AP/EP quality (used for easily 80% of my playing), but would also let me release my AW1600 & Kawai MIDI sequencer . . . been thinking for years of a workstation to simplify that. Not all that demanding, but enough so that the first time I sat at a workstation, I found the (somewhat) immediacy of access to those features conducive to creating music.

Appreciate the input on this. thanks

Archived