Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3 or something else?

Matej

The Kurzweil semi-weighted seem to be pretty polarizing... either people say they're great, or people don't like to play them at all. It's always worth checking it out for yourself to see which camp you're in. I really like Kurz sounds, but can't deal with that keyboard, so I'd only get the PC361 or maybe an 88 if I could deal with the travel weight.

As for the Stage Compact, it's a bit closer to the PC361 in feel, though springier than the PC361. None of these are actions I would like to play piano on, but at least the PC361 and Stage Compact are pretty good for non-piano purposes (I'd lean toward the PC361). The Roland VR-700 I mentioned is the only non-piano-weighted organ-oriented keyboard that I think is actually passable for piano use as well.

And yes, on the Nord, if you're getting any model older than a Stage 2, you would need that other small module for your "rompler" sounds The Rolands mentions are not as small as the Ketron, but still small enough to velcro (though they will overhang).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people have actually changed the feel of the PC3's.

I love the idea, I've often wished I could take the action of one board and put it into another. I suppose in this case, there was a decent chance of it working since both actions were made by Fatar, which increases the chance that mounting points and electrical specs and signal connections are the same... but I did notice that the video ends with something like "the nightmare continues..." and part 2 has not yet surfaced, so we don't even know if he was successful!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Both of those links go to part 2, but I found part 3, thanks. I don't know why they didn't come up the first time I searched! Anyway, as before, I only skipped around and didn't watch it through, but I did watch the amusing end where he says... don't do it!! Interesting to see how much was involved despite the similarities between the two Fatar keybeds.

Archived