Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

kurzweil pc 361 vs xk-3c

rockkeys

if I kept my vent, what would I be losing (in terms of sound quality) if I started using a pc 361 as my clone? I have one big, full time gig that is pretty much all organ...but my secondary gigs call for organ much less so. The addition of killer ep's, mellotrons, and VA is making me consider picking one up...but my main concern is whether or not the organs will sound as killer as my xk-3c. Thoughts? Again, I play rock organ (Billy Preston, Al Kooper style...not Jimmy Smith.) I move drawbars as much as I play the keys, so I'm wondering how difficult it would be adapting to the sliders. Anything is better than drawbuttons mind you :)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although Kurzweil has made strong advances in the KB3/leslie area and I feel the KB3 organ is closer to the hammond sound than the internal leslie is to the 122 sound, i.e. the organ sim is stronger than the leslie sim, the XK3c is in another league than the KB3. I have a PC3 but continue to use my Voce V5+ rather than the KB3 organ because the Voce is stronger in the organ area. I also use a Vent. I have used the Vent with the KB3 and it sounds pretty good but not as good as the Voce with the Vent. The other issue to consider is that you can split the XK3-c keyboard with a couple of button flicks. In order to split the keyboard of the PC3 having independent organs on each side of the split requires the use of one KB3 organ and one VAST organ. I've done it but it has taken me hours of programming to get independent drawbar control on each split. The XK3-c would take about 15 seconds to accomplish this task. To address your question, the KB3 organ won't sound AS killer as the XK3-c. Below is a link of the KB3 organ/internal leslie as compared to a Hammond B3/122. Keep in mind that the Vent will make the KB3 sound better than this video since the KB3 is running through the internal leslie and not the Vent, which would be an upgrade.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

It sounds like you might prefer the XK-3c on your primary gigs, but the PC361 on your secondary. You could pickup a Hammond XM2 module to get something close to the XK-3c sound out of the PC361. I think a lot of what makes the XK-3c better than the XM2 would be obviated by the Ventilator anyway.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The XK3c has fantastic MIDI master controller features. Why not pick up a Motif rack, for instance, and control it with the XK3c when you need those sounds? You can split and layer up to three external zones and recall them with a press of the reverse preset keys.

Yes, the Motif Rack XS is still current, though I don't think they are as good as Kurz in the specific areas you asked about... EPs, mellotrons, VA. You could look for a Kurzweil PC2R rack with the Classic Keys option, which, although a generation back form the PC3 series, still has a lot of their high quality EP and mellotron sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'll start a seperate thread later but I am struggling with adding additional synth ability to my live rig with out bringing another board.

I am thinking about Arturia Analog Factory software controlled by the XK33c and using a Korg Nanokontrol to give me some additional slider and knob controls.

I love the keybed on the 3c. I thought about the Kurzweil PC3 K6 as an option but I haven't the heart to pull the 3c out of my live rig.

Right now I just don't know enough about virtual instruments to make an intelligent decision. I have homework to do.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If the ep's in the motif rack are the same as in the s90xs, than i respectfully disagree.

The EPs in the Motif Rack XS should be identical to those in the Motif XS, S90XS, and MOX. I happen to prefer Kurz EPs, but yes, that's a matter of opinion.

Archived