Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Union

David Loving

Has anyone else watched "The Union" on HBO? It's about recording the Elton John/Leon Russell album. Pretty good. I can't believe Leon Russell. He recorded this album, taking a short time off in the middle for a 5 hour brain surgery.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big LR admirer since the original Mad Dogs & Englishmen, and I'd learned "Count Me In" off the radio when I was a little kid, but I had no idea he was otherwise so prolific.

I recently watched YouTube for his acceptance remarks upon being inducted into the R&R Hall, by Elton John. It was so touching I read some background on the man - there's enough info on Wiki to make you shake your head.

What an influential, amazing musician. I will certainly check out "The Union" - thanks for posting, Daviel.

Here for the gear.

Leon was also a member of what became the "Wrecking Crew"...the legendary group of LA studio musicians who played on probably 90% of the hits of the 60s and early 70s. Glen Campbell was also in that group which included folks Carol Kaye-Bass, Earl Palmer and Hal Blaine-drums, Tommy Tedesco-guitar, Plas Johnson-sax, Howard Roberts-guitar,etc. The documentary film "The Wrecking Crew" produced by Tedesco's son is currently being shown in limited distribution around the country. Check it out:

http://wreckingcrew.tv/trailer.html

Archived