Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RCF 312 or 322

Gary75

In the market for a monitor, but also possibly as mains. There are a set of 312s and a set of 322's on EBay £200 apart in price. (500 & 700) Do you guys think it's worth the extra money for the 322's. Been researching and a lot of people like the 2" horn for a better throw over the 1". Any feedback from users current or former?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're a Harmony Central member you might want to ask this question in their Live Sound forum. There are several RCF owners over there including a couple of knowledgeable sound providers who own practically the whole line.

Both speakers are highly regarded, and the 322 is considered by some to be the best you can get of this type.

Just from personal experience with other speakers, the 1" exit horn would be better for near field monitoring and the 2" for mains. The Pacific Northwest (where I live) is not RCF country though - so no experience first hand.

I have heard the 722 but not the 712 or the 300 ART series. It's my understanding the drivers and woofers are the same in both, just a more powerful amp in the 700 series.

My point of reference was for digital piano. I found the 722 to be good but still a tad honky sounding with regard to the horn and midrange. Vocals sounded excellent though. Maybe the 1" horn on the 712/312 would be less honky/harsh-unfortunately it's very difficult to audition the RCFs on the West Coast. I had to be very persistent just to hear the 722.

I have the RCF TT08As & TT22As, but another level up from the ART series--both component and price wise.

If I had to take a leap of faith on it-- for foh on speaker poles, I'd go with the 322 if budget allows. If vocals are a consideration, they will sound better imo with the 2" horn. If it were nearfield, I'd probably opt for the 312 like Bill said.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I own pairs of 312, 325 and 522. I use the 312 only for lightweight use. The 322/325 are much more powerful and i know i can trust them in most any situation. Definitely not so for the 312. Definitely spend the extra if it's at all possible.

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Archived