Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Avantgrand, people's thoughts?

livestagekid

Just tried the a Yamaha N2 in my local music store, having played a clavinova for years I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I was quite literally blown away with the feel of the keys and the action. It was as if I were playing a C3 or C5 acoustic grand but its digital instead. The action felt great but I suppose it should considering the price.

Has anyone else tried or heard one and what were your thoughts?

Nord Stage EX Compact, Yamaha Motif 8, 79 Rhodes Suitcase 73

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum Livestagekid.

There have been a number a Aventgrand threads in recent history, so try a search using the word Aventgrand and set the search dates between older than one day and newer than one year and it will return about 4 pages of posts.

This was the most recent one from September.

Klonk Here

I think the mostly universal consensus was that it was amazingly good and some went as far as saying it was as good as a nice acoustic grand (I wasn't quite in that camp, but I did like playing it).

It's expensive, so it should sound good. It does have nice action, but would I ever trade my C7 for one. Nope, not in my lifetime (not yet anyway).

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I just bought at N2. I don't have room for a grand and for around the last 7-10 years I've owned a Steinway K. It was a compromise since it sounds great but still has upright action. I was late to the party and just heard about the AG series a couple of months ago. I actually owned an CP70B electric grand by Yamaha before the K cause it had grand action. When I deciding on K, I almost bought a Grand Touch, Yamaha's 1st attempt at a hybrid. I liked it very much but didn't think it was time.

After trying an N3 six weeks ago for about 15 minutes I was sold on the idea of selling my K. I always planned on the N2. When I went to try out a second time I was able to try N2 and N1. Although the N1 was very nice, I wanted the extras that creates the experience and since I already had the money from my investment I dove right in. Any piano is tough to sell privately but luckily I found someone who understood the instrument I had and it all worked out. I actually made enough money to consider a Kronos to upgrade my Triton Extreme.

I think the technology Yamaha created is amazing. I still am not happy having to pay the money and know the AG will not be as good as investment as my Steinway. I'm just hoping it's an investment in my piano playing; being able for the first time to practice on a grand every day.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I tried the N3 and loved it. I found it a lot better than most acoustic pianos, as good as many good acoustic pianos, and only a bit less wonderful than great acoustic pianos. Better than anything acoustic I've found at the price, so far, though I'm sure that one can find excellent pianos below $15K. My understanding is there's considerable wiggle room in the N3's price, too.

It's impressive the way they managed to capture not just the sound but the feel and experience of a piano with their speaker system.

I have room for a big grand, so I'm not interested in buying one. If I didn't have room, it would be a contender.

I was quite literally blown away with the feel of the keys and the action. It was as if I were playing a C3 or C5 acoustic grand

You were; aside from the hammers being altered (no felt, small metal heads), it's the action out of a C series grand.

Has anyone else tried or heard one and what were your thoughts?

cf. what Meisenhower stated above. :thu:

I've toyed with the though of trading my kawai grand for an avant grand. Although my grand fits in my living room nicely, sometimes it's almost too loud for my house.

Dave Ferris and I played all of them at last years NAMM. I felt like some of them were really "beat up" and one of them had a vibrating pedal. However, they seemed like nice pianos overall.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

one of them had a vibrating pedal.

Vibrating as in buzzing/rattling? The Avant Grand N2 and N3 both have a system called TRS which applies a low-frequency transducer to the bottom of the action and causes both the action and the damper pedal (which, incidentally, is a mechanical pedal, not an electronic one, at least in terms of the connection from pedal to piano) to vibrate realistically. TRS has 3 levels; at the highest level, it might be too much for some folks. ;)

one of them had a vibrating pedal.

Vibrating as in buzzing/rattling? The Avant Grand N2 and N3 both have a system called TRS which applies a low-frequency transducer to the bottom of the action and causes both the action and the damper pedal (which, incidentally, is a mechanical pedal, not an electronic one, at least in terms of the connection from pedal to piano) to vibrate realistically. TRS has 3 levels; at the highest level, it might be too much for some folks. ;)

There is an on going issue with the damper pedal, at least on the N3. Dave Horne posted extensively about his problems on Piano World and various other N3 owners wrote in saying they were having trouble with the adjustment on theirs too.

I've played the N3 quite a few times at Keyboard Concepts here in the Valley. They've probably gone through at least a half dozen since I've come in and checked them out the last few years. On every new model I play every six months or so, there is something not inherently right with the sustain pedal. It doesn't feel tight like a real piano. A bit too much play and an overall sloppy feeling. Also I do hear a thud that shouldn't be there.

I'm not sure exactly what the issue is or the fix, Dave went into great detail at PW, so you can look it up over there. Now that I think of it he might have fixed it himself--those of you knowing Dave know he's big on DIY things like that. :)

I don't know if this is just the N3 or it applies to the N1 & 2. In any case the dealer told me on several occasions (when I was seriously considering the N3) that when it was in the home they would go to whatever lengths needed to ensure 100% customer satisfaction....hmm, still would like to get that in writing. ;)

Archived