Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VB3 on Windows 7, 64?

analogholic

Hi everyone,

Tried to install the VB3 demo on my laptop which has Win 7, 64-bit with no luck.

First it says that it´s installed, but then it says that it probably didn´t install correctly.

No problem installing it on my old Win 2000 machine or my Mac G4 powerbook

FAQ says:

Q: Is there a 64 bit version of VB3 available?

A: No, there's currently no native 64 bit version of VB3. You can however load it in 32 bit mode thanks to your host's "bridge" adapter. Every 64 bit host has a "bridged mode" that allows loading 32 bits plugins. Please refer to your host's User Manual for more details.

My laptop has Sonar X1 LE.

Don´t know if it is 64 bit.

Anyone?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First it says that it´s installed, but then it says that it probably didn´t install correctly.

Could you be a little more explicit that this? What exactly does it "say"? Can you screen capture the error message(s) and show them? The more info you provide, the easier it is to troubleshoot. :thu:

Sonar is a 64-bit app, but has 32-bit support as the VB3 FAQ mentioned.

I took a look at the VB3 website, and noted the following:

Changes in version 1.2.2:

Fixed bugs with some hosts (Sonar, Tracktion3, Receptor) that caused a crash when loading VB3

It's possible that the demo version is an earlier version, not the latest (v1.4), and therefore might have issues in Sonar. I can't be certain, but it's a possibility (not every software manufacturer cranks out an updated demo with ever revision).

What? i have both versions, 1.2.2 and bought 1.4 months ago and both runs fine on my Win 64bit. Oh, and by the way, check out their website they have the 1.4 version available to download, try that one.
"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I took a look at the VB3 website, and noted the following:

Changes in version 1.2.2:

Fixed bugs with some hosts (Sonar, Tracktion3, Receptor) that caused a crash when loading VB3

It's possible that the demo version is an earlier version, not the latest (v1.4), and therefore might have issues in Sonar. I can't be certain, but it's a possibility (not every software manufacturer cranks out an updated demo with ever revision).

Thanks for your reply.

No, the demo is 1.4. It´s exactly the same as the full version, just added noise bursts every 10 second.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What? i have both versions, 1.2.2 and bought 1.4 months ago and both runs fine on my Win 64bit. Oh, and by the way, check out their website they have the 1.4 version available to download, try that one.

Thanks man.

This is what I did.

Btw, what host are you using? Cubase ? And is it 32 or 64 bit?

Arthur Schopenhauer

I also sent GSI questions regarding this, but he/they didn´t answer.
How long did you give him? GSi is pretty much (if not completely) one guy. Sometimes he posts here as ZioGuido. Also, he's based in Italy. If you're in North America, you may have caught him while he's asleep. :)

I don't know how responsive he is normally, but I'd give him more time if you sent him a message around the same time you started this thread.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here I am ;) Was just browsing the forum and found this thread. I gave a look at my Gmail archive but I can't find any recent inquiry about someone using VB3 in a 64 bit Windows with Sonar X1 LE, so I guess you have not sent me any email, otherwise I'd have replied to it already.

Did you give a look at the other Q&A's on my site? I think your problem is already covered by the available answers. It's either a problem of 64->32 bit bridging or file permissions issues under Win 64bit.

Also, I have a short installation guide, this could be helpful:

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/Default.asp?a=page&p=how_to_install_a_plugin

Guido.

Thanks man.

This is what I did.

Btw, what host are you using? Cubase ? And is it 32 or 64 bit?

I tried on both Sonar PE 8 and Cubase 5 (the old version would freeze sometimes on Sonar), my Cubase was 32bit (as i didn't know) and was trying to run the Martinic plugins (Model F and V) until realizing even though my win is 64bit, my cubase wasn't, so your problem could be bit-related, try the 32bit version.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Hey Guido! :wave:

The bridge solution isn't a great one, though, because it adds two buffers of latency. Since some of my plugins are 32-bit processor only, I run my DAW in 32-bit-processor mode. I don't know of any 64-bit-processor-only plugins.

Analogholic, I suggest you try running the 32-bit-processor version of your host, possibly in XP compatibility mode. I get the best results this way. Admittedly I'm using a few relatively old VSTs.

Hopefully before long all our VSTs will support 64-bit processor operation. That's most important if we're running out of CPU power, since most applications use less CPU power in 64-bit mode. (The 64-bit processor mode has more CPU registers, so the optimizer can do a much better job, using fewer memory references for intermediate data.)

Archived