Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"new" Yamaha CP300 ???

M_G

hi folks,

i am still playing my good old yamaha p250, but it is getting a bit worn out now ...

I tested the newer cp5 and liked the sound very much but i missed the feeling of

the build in speakers. the vibrations of the speaker makes the playing morenrealistic.

I think you know what i mean... A cp5 with monitors won't give me that.

The best (for me) would be a cp5 in a cp300 housing that would be great.

I am wondering if this would ever happen????

I tried the roland fp7f but I don't like the action and the sound that much...

Maybe Yamaha is reading ?

What would you think, would there be a market for a lets

say "CP500" ???

cheers

markus

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will have to see what new products Yamaha comes up with at NAMM in a couple of months. Personally I am hoping for an updated Motif rack with the CP5 Acoustic and electric piano samples.... but I don't know if that will ever happen.

i am still playing my good old yamaha p250, but it is getting a bit worn out now ...

I tested the newer cp5 and liked the sound very much but i missed the feeling of

the build in speakers. the vibrations of the speaker makes the playing morenrealistic.

I think you know what i mean... A cp5 with monitors won't give me that.

I feel the same way about speakers. (Plus they can sometimes be convenient as sufficient amplification by themselves for cocktail-hour stuff, or mini-rehearsals.)

My "piano of choice" at the moment is a Nord Stage Compact above a Casio PX-310. I run the Nord out to the Casio's in, and play the piano sound from the Casio's weighted action (which I find quite good). With the Casio's own volume control all the way down, the only sound that comes out of its speakers is the Nord's. So I get to play the Nord piano with a nice action and I get those "vibrations" you're talking about. The two boards combined weigh about 47 lbs (26 + 21), and I've also got my nice unweighted organ/synth above my 88 (the Nord even lets you easily send the different sounds out different outputs).

I think the Casio PX-330's line ins work the same way, so you could combine that with a 61-key Motif XF or Korg Kronos to get some pretty high end pianos in a weighted board with speakers (with the big variable of whether you happen to like that Casio action).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What do you find the difference to be in the action on the 310 vs. the 130/330?

It's hard to quantify, but I find the older action to be lighter feeling (less push-back perhaps) and somehow more "positive" with a more solid landing.

On low cost actions, I like the Yamaha P-95 and Casio CDP-100 better than the PX-130/330; but I like the PX-310 and PX-500L better than the P-95 and CDP-100. I imagine that other older Casio boards are probably similar to those older models, but those are the only two older models I've played.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hmm. I thought the 310 and CDP shared the same action.

I suspected that as well, until I played them side by side. Either they are fundamentally different, or if they are indeed of the same design, then there is substantial unit-to-unit variation, because they definitely did not feel the same. I'd say the CDP feels more like the P95 than like the 310.

Archived