Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Song you love playing

slowfinger

We had a practice last night - preparing for a couple of small gigs, trying out our regular old songs and some we had neglected, including this one - a song I just love playing. It leaves me with a warm inner glow and a big grin. I'm not a singer but I can't resist joining in towards the end.

So what's a song you love to play?

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now it has to be John Mayall's "Blues For The Lost Days". A slow blues; I don't play the bass line as recorded and I always get lost in the changes (no, not typical I-IV-V for a change) but it is so much fun.

We also do a rendition of "The Letter", for which I based a lot of my bass line on the Joe Cocker version. That is to say, it sounded busy so I worked out a fairly busy (for my usual style of playing) bass line that IMHO really helps push the song along.

[edit] I have to say I am also having a boatload of fun with "Further On Up The Road" which by all means is a simple 12-bar blues. Nothing spectacular there as far as my bass line goes but for some reason it just clicks :) Drummer and I have a blast on that one. Toward the end I throw in a wee bit of slap 'n' pop for fun, and it works well.

I guess I just like this blues thing I find myself in :) Now if I could just get my lazy *ss to learn ANY version of Stormy Monday :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Now if I could just get my lazy *ss to learn ANY version of Stormy Monday :)

When I first played it I learned it from the Bobby "Blue" Bland version. There are so many other versions based on this recording. I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I love all my children the same.
Me too.

Even Boogie Oogie Oogie?
Even the pointy-headed ones that don't make it out of kindergarten.
Even Mustang Sally?

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Me too.

Even Boogie Oogie Oogie?
Even Mustang Sally?

You're bringing up skeletons left in the family closet, Nancy, but yes, even Mustang Sally.

I'm so ashamed...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

When I was 15, the record "The Girl From Ipanema" came out. At the time I was playing saxophone (bass came later) and I loved the song. So at my next sax lesson, I asked my teacher to show me how to play it and of course he did.

In the many years to follow, I have often imagined this conversation and wondered what I would have done had it been a real conversation.

Student: I'd like to learn the song, The Girl From Ipanema.

Teacher: You like this song, do you?

Student: Yes.

Teacher: Do you really like the song?

Teacher: Are you sure you like the song?

Student: Yes, I do.

Teacher: And you want to learn how to play it?

Teacher: Are you sure?

Student: Yes, can you teach it to me?

Teacher: Yes, I can teach it, but I need to be sure that your really, really like the song.

Student: Yes, I like the song. Why do you keep asking me?

Teacher: Because you are going to be playing this song every night for the rest of your life. Are you still sure that you like this song?

"Fly Me to the Moon" is another I like on the URB.

I enjoyed that one when I played in the big band. The bass part was well written yet left lots of room for interpretation. The shout chorus just kicked ass.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Me too.

Even Boogie Oogie Oogie?
Even Mustang Sally?

I like Mustang Sally... played to a dancing singing crowd.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Now if I could just get my lazy *ss to learn ANY version of Stormy Monday :)

When I first played it I learned it from the Bobby "Blue" Bland version. There are so many other versions based on this recording. I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

Wally

Thanks for this....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

When Doves Cry

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

"One Way Out" (Allmans version)

If this is the song I think it is, then my band (in its earliest incarnation) planned to do a version called "It's A Man Down There" by Bernard Allison (I think). I prefer the Allmans version, and can see how it is a favourite :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

"One Way Out" (Allmans version)

If this is the song I think it is, then my band (in its earliest incarnation) planned to do a version called "It's A Man Down There" by Bernard Allison (I think). I prefer the Allmans version, and can see how it is a favourite :)

Earliest version I know is by Elmore James.

Many bass players I see mistakenly double the guitar riff. In fact, Berry Oakley plays an almost contrapuntal line. It's a lot of what makes the song pop, IMO.

I play it wrong but it works... so it must not be entirely wrong... Our guitard played a weird version of the riff so my line evolved weird too.... I would like to play it right sometime...

I play it wrong but it works... so it must not be entirely wrong... Our guitard played a weird version of the riff so my line evolved weird too.... I would like to play it right sometime...
Well, I didn't say "wrong." I just haven't myself discovered a bass line other than Berry Gordy's that I thought worked.

Carry on.

I agree that this is great... but your mean Oakly not Gordy... right?

Not many people know that Berry Gordy sat in for Oakly on that gig, because Oakly was in Detroit, producing the first sessions for "Papa Was Rolling A Stone". Gordy eventually scrapped those tracks and went with a different title...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I agree that this is great... but your mean Oakly not Gordy... right?

Not many people know that Berry Gordy sat in for Oakly on that gig, because Oakly was in Detroit, producing the first sessions for "Papa Was Rolling A Stone". Gordy eventually scrapped those tracks and went with a different title...

:P:P:P

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Archived