Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Robert Trujillo Signature Bass and BP Mag

groover

As per Ed Friedland's recommendation in his latest youtube.com video, I have resubscribed to Bass Player magazine and just received my first issue since over a year ago. In this issue is a review of the Robert Trujillo Signature bass and I am blown away (in a bad way) at the price of the German made version. $9000!! Really?! That's not a misprint?

For that amount of money I would expect to see hand crafted exotic woods, custom designed electronics and a unique tonal quality (there are many builders who do this for less than half the price), but this bass has off the shelf pick ups/electronics and a maple neck and body. The only things I see that make this bass special is the finish, the signature and maybe the neck profile.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a stunning bass and I'm sure it plays and sounds incredible, just don't understand what makes it worth $9000. I'm sure there will be people who will still buy it, even though they can get the Korean version for $1450 that sounds and plays just as good (according to Rod Taylor), and Warwick can set prices anyway they want but still... sheesh! $9000!!

Anyway, glad to be getting Bass Player once again. I originaly left because the subscription price went up and the content and quality went down (IMHO). Enjoying this issue and am looking forward to more.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe if Mr. Trujillo personally signs each and every one instead of the signature being a decal I could see it being worth maybe a few thousand. I don't know, maybe if I got my hands on one and played it might change my mind, I don't know. Am I missing something here?

It's their call. They can price it any which way they want it. Perhaps these are made-to-order? I would never see myself paying that much (or anything remotely close to that much) for a signature bass. And yes, I have a Marcus Miller signature Jazz :) It just happened to be the best bass in the store, which was a good reason to buy it IMHO.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• 2 weeks later...
Before getting to the $9,000 question let me first say that I have never thought Robert Trujillo to be an outstanding or spectacular bass player. He plays well enough to handle what is expected from the band and seems to be able to hold his own. If I had to elaborate all I would add is that he is an average player that can get the job done. Now for the icing on the cake. Why would Warwick come to him for a Signature bass, especially a very expensive one at that? Do they expect people to grab these up like hotcakes? Not at $9K a pop (in my opinion) and not with ordinary, off-the-shelf components for the most part. I would bet both of my nuts that R.T. would never spend $9K of his own money (when he was first starting out and not now when $9K is a drop in the bucket for him) to buy one of these if he had to.

He gets a signature bass because he's in a big-time band and millions of people will see him playing it.

Besides, he's a lot better bassist than you give him credit for.

The poor musicians who could really use a new instrument never are going to get an endorsement deal or a free instrument. That's just the way things are.

Before getting to the $9,000 question let me first say that I have never thought Robert Trujillo to be an outstanding or spectacular bass player...quote]

You, apparently, have not heard Infectious Grooves, or to a lesser extent, Suicidal Tendencies. Try 'em both, and then judge. :) Just sayin'.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

It's just a publicity stunt -- ask a ridiculous amount of money and people will talk about it. It gets people interested in the company and more likely to buy something similar for $8000 less. And if some idiot does DOES shell out the 9K, so be it.

Most of his career, RT played a $800 Fernandes and an occasional stock P and on occassion a stock J.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

The article sure seems to have stirred up some discussion around here about Warwick. That may have been part of the point of this review. And when you look at the bass landscape of the last decade, it sure seems to have been dominated by Fender and boutique builders who are making their take on classic Fender designs. Will this Trujillo bass shift the market? Not likely. But if Warwick can make some inroads with Metal guys because of this Robert Trujillo bass, I'm sure they would be happy.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Even if I was rich and it was "worth the money", I still wouldn't pay $9000 for a single bass. I'd sooner buy a pile of gear, basses, amps and other goodies. In fact I don't even understand why the best of the best should cost over $2500, which I consider a massive sum. In my opinion, anything over $1300 deserves some serious justification.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

And in the Metallica movie, they show the auditions for bass.

Trujillo was so much better than everyone else (all name players) that it was ridiculous.

I saw that movie too and you're right he killed it. He immediately got a $1 million from the band as a showing of good faith. I'm sure he could buy one if he wanted to.

As far as that bass goes I can understand it if it is completely hand made. Suppose you were Warwick and had to pay a skilled luthier $60 an hour, $30 + cost of benefits we are talking Germany)(I'm probably WAY off with that estimate). Consider the bass takes say 100 hours to construct, the price of raw materials, shipping and a profit margin wrote in, I can probably see the price as justified.

I doubt it is completely hand made though as Warwick has a number of CNC machines (I saw a factory walk through on Youtube) and it is basically a streamer bass with a fancy paint job. I can't see it being that expensive to make and can't justify the price.

If someone gave me one would I take it? Sure! Would I buy one? No way.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived