Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FP-7F tones - most good, some bad. Help.

wcwiseman

I just bought a Roland FP-7F, and I am a total newbie with any keyboard.This thing has so many features it will take me years to figure out. However, I do know something about guitar, and the 'guitar tones' are very bad, not sounding like any guitar I ever heard, especially the Nylon, Clean and Jazz guitar sounds. Does anyone know how to fix this? I bought the FP-7F to learn piano, and I think I will be happy with its default grand piano sound - but since it has all these other tones and features, I want them to work correctly too. I sure would appreciate any help I can get. **UPDATE: I accidentally listed as a 'calendar event', so am removing it. I don't understand what a calendar event is, but not evidently appropriate. Thanks so much for the replies... I think I will console/resign myself to being happy with the great grand piano sounds - and perhaps in future I will find use of the other tones available. --- But is there any 'calibration' or 'test' technique to ensure I have the correct tones? I read somewhere a vague reference to calibration with an external CD, but it was not clear at all how to do this.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the RD 300GX which, like most Rolands. has similar guitar tones. Granted, the tones by themselves aren't very convincing. However, I've found that the trick is developing a guitar-like playing technique rather than tweaking the sounds themselves. You're never going to convince anyone that it's a real guitar in an exposed solo piece, but in context with a band and played with the right technique it can be very convincing.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I have an FP7F -- forget the other sounds. Piano, EP, Vibes, maybe organ. About the only other sound I use is "Jazz Scat". The rest are so unrealistic sounding. Yamaha is better at the other sounds.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

However, I do know something about guitar, and the 'guitar tones' are very bad, not sounding like any guitar I ever heard, especially the Nylon, Clean and Jazz guitar sounds. Does anyone know how to fix this?

It's easy: don't play them.

Assuming the FP7f allows layering, sometimes sounds like that work well when layered with other sounds -- not to sound like a guitar, but to make a different keyboard sound. I mostly play the classic vintage keyboard sounds (EPs, piano, hammond, clav, etc) but now and then I enjoy getting a little bit whooshy with layers. Don't tell anyone, though.

I own an FP4-F which has the same 'other' tones as the 7 and I was actually outraged by how bad they were. They're far worse than Roland's most basic synth, the Juno Di, and that's saying something.

Some of the EPs barely sound at all they are so weak, and the choirs/strings/pads are circa 1990.

How much would it have cost Roland to have added a few decent other bread and butter patches in there?

Having said that, I bought it for the piano, and am happy with that

Archived