Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

another open mic tale...

Ross Brown

This might fall under the who cares category but maybe not

My dear wife and I attended an open mic this week in support of a couple of friends that host it. It is a good open mic, open to all ages and lots of younger musicians show up. My friend asked us to get up and do a few early to help get it going. It was a bit of musical chaos at the beginning of the songs for a few bars for her two songs but quickly turned into decent music. She did a song covered by Janiva Magness (Thats What Love will Do) and one covered by Susan Tedeshi (Hurts so Bad). All is well until I decide Ill sing Sympathy for the Devil (my new favorite song to sing for now). That song is not difficult musically but does have a characteristic sound and beat to it. I never checked with the drummer . He and I interpreted the songs so very differently. I was sweating profusely about halfway through the song. I guess it did not qualify as a train wreck because we made it to the end but there was damage

I learned a lot. I am not a great or a very experienced vocalist. I had to adjust my bass playing and my vocal phrasing on the fly, in front of a big room full of people, many of which are musicians I know. The fact that I did not run off of the stage crying made me feel proud. I learned something. That I can handle this song just fine when playing it with my band, be careful otherwise Great experience

Did you ever start a song and instantly know you were in trouble?

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give you tremendous credit for trying something different and sticking it out despite the obvious problems. My band mates and I remind one another all the time--if there's a screw up during a song, just keep going.

My band has had two instances I can think of when we started a song and knew immediately we were in trouble. In one case there was confusion over who was supposed to count the song in--half of us were watching the drummer, the other half the lead guitarist. The other case involved confusion over a song's tempo. Remember that scene from "That Thing You Do" when the drummer starts playing the song at double time and the rest of the band is behind. That was us.

But, hey, playing through those situations is what makes you better as a band.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

In one case there was confusion over who was supposed to count the song in--half of us were watching the drummer, the other half the lead guitarist.

:laugh:

Classic....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Couple times I've known we were in trouble the instant the drummer starts the count-in too fast on up-tempo songs. He looks at his sticks, not around at us, and there's no way to catch it. I just hang on and try to pull it back if I can (without noticeably disrupting the song). Sometimes the poor vocalists are out of breath before the chorus....
"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

I went to one last night, the first time I'd been to this one hosted at a coffee house. I was the only person who showed up; no house band or pa or anything. Later a comic guy showed up and did five minutes. Luckily I threw my mackie vocal monitor in the car and put the guitar through that; naked vocals since it's a small place. So I just played till I was tired. I ran through all the tunes that are new sort of as a dress rehearsal since the crowd ranged from two to ten. I won't be returning to that one. But I will get out to others sort of as Public Relations, and to get better at performing when all my ducks aren't all in a nice row. I won't attend one without my music stand in the bag. I could just do simple tunes at these events, but my "thing" is that my songs more complex.

These open mic nights are sprouting up like mushrooms here.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Around here the hosts get paid. A gig during the week... ends early... Still crappy pay... but not that much different than a weekend gig in the same craphole places...

These open mic nights are sprouting up like mushrooms here.

Yeah, it's the same here in KC. I think the bar owners are as desperate as a lot of the musicians are these days. Between no smoking laws and increased enforcement of drunk driving laws by cops, their business is way off. They are looking for an affordable way to get folks in the door and buying booze. As it sits, I'm getting $50 a pop for hosting(with a band) two jams a week, and may be adding an additional acoustic open mike night, all at the same club as house band. We have also done a couple of Saturday nights for $120 a head. The deal with the owner is that if the jams catch on the money will go up, and I believe he will make good on that. He's just that kind of guy. So far, he tells me we are helping his business, and I take the fact that he's admitting it as a sign my instincts about him are right.

No, it's not as much as I'd like to get paid, and yes, I do believe I'm worth more than that, but a little is better than none. And, the $400+ a month I'm getting sure helps me pay the bills...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Clubs paid $50 a person in the sixties and the bands were horn bands with at least six pieces. Not only has it not changed very much but in some cases it's actually worse. I feel for those that are trying to make a living out of playing clubs these days and feel fortunate that I don't do that any more.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

There's about four or five weekly open mics at the various watering holes. Open mic is like programing on Fox ... how much does it cost to put together a reality program where everyone acts like a bunch of pennises and constantly snipe at each other? How much money can it make in sponsorship and commercial time?

Open mic is the same theory. You get your 15 minute once a week, every week and it doesn't cost anyone a dime and the host not only supplies the PA and in some cases the instruments, and gets off with less than a decent DJ. And an open mic will draw a crowd as the performers will always have friends and relations along for support.

Enough rant, now for the tale. I was in an "open mic" band at "Geraldo's" that decided to become legit. Instead of tapping me as a bassist, they got the "other" bassist from the open mic. Being all adults, they decided not only to not tell me, but stop calling me completely. The open mic shut down and I never head from any of the guys afterwards, although we stayed in touch while the open mic was working.

Fast forward two months later and I run into the lead guitarist at "Dexter's" open mic (a little more professionally run and great place for new bands to jump off). He was very reserved and evasive. I decided he was being a butt (not knowing about the whole band and bassist thing) until his "band", complete with "Toledo" Johnson was called to the stage. Well, "Toledo" was a no-show because he was out back in the smoking area cutting a deal with other musicians to chair in another band. After three awkward minutes of paging the guy, the open mic maestro sez play or cut bait. They call ME over the PA and asked if I brought a bass. I said yes and they called me up to cover. The singer/rhythmist was too drunk to play guitar, so they asked "Hyper-Kenetic Darryl" of the house band to fill for lead and have "One-Too-Many-Myself Brian" to play rhythm (Brian is now officially cheesed because he can't play rhythm).

Then, the west-bound train met the east-bound train when "Country-Fried Johnny" decided - with no warning - to cover some Skynard.

The rest is history. "OTMM Brian" quit guitar and sold all his gear. "C-F Johnny" hasn't been heard from. "Toledo Johnson" has burned so many bridges that he can't find work. The drummer, whose name escapes me, moved to Seattle. I'm in two working bands and have a stack of fiddies in the sock drawer.

Karma rocks.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Did you ever start a song and instantly know you were in trouble?

Did I ever not? :confused:

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

The acoustic night is on. So now it's $150 a week to help pay the bills. I'd like $600 a week better. Shucks, I'd like a much larger amount better too, but I'll take $150 till more comes along.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

OK, so I'm unsure if this belongs in the "would you do it in a barn" thread or this one.

Friday's halloween party was in a barn. (And there was no way possible to dress warm enough for this event. Brrrrr.) A bunch of us old fellas and a bunch of young fella's and gals show up to these events. I've found that it's best if I tend to drive the bus: I come with a bunch of three chord tunes that I can sing. Tell'em the chords, vamp for a bit till the groove jells, and sing. It's fun. And it's an ever revolving cast of characters. These are my tunes, so I'm good with the tempo's. But this week, I played with a new drummer; young kid. He slowed everything way way way down. I don't think Quaaludes were involved, but holy smokes I've never had that happen like that before. I tried hard to push the tempo back to barely-alive status but to no avail; if I got too much ahead of the drummer he'd give me this panicky look and lose even more time. If I pantomimed that we should speed it up a bit, he only played louder.

The pain got worse when another drummer came up to me between songs and said, "Could you play something up tempo? These people wanna dance."

Yes, Captain Obvious. Thank you for your input.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been attending an open mic on Wednesdays. I'm staying over in NJ Wed-Thur, and found this place. The audience is mostly musicians, and many don't drink much. I understand what was said about free music - this place may be doing that, but they value the community aspect and the music also.

It's mostly acoustic and I only know about 1/3 of the tunes. I get invited because the jam-leader put me up with a guy and I did OK. I've been asked up by a couple of good players with good voices - and they mostly do originals. Fortunately I read their hands and the chord structures have been easy. As time goes on, I've learned some of the songs and can do more than root-parts. That - and adding "surprise" background vox - make it fun.

I bring my Shuttle 3 (with 10" cab) and let any bass player use it (many come without). This, along with my "easy going" attitude have made me a welcome player.

I have two next steps here. One is to find the right guitarist and give him a few songs to learn so I can sing. I haven't picked them all yet, but will probably try "Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man" (Stones) and "Sunshine" (Jonathan Edwards).

The second is to sing a song alone. One of the other guys does this (sing acapella at the end of the night), and inspired me to do the same. It took me a while to pick the song - "I Don't Mind" by Bourgeois Tagg - nice melody. It will take me a while to decide if I want to work up an interesting bass part or just sing acapella.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Larry Tagg is a great bass player. The whole group Uncle Rainbow came to the SF Bay Area but not sure if it was late 70's or sometime in the 80's. I think I remember the first name of Bourgeois being Brent. All the members of Uncle Rainbow were great players. Sorry for the slight derail but this brought back some great memories.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived