Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hollowbody or Lightweight 5-String

Virgin Dog

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.eclecticbass.com/spectorcore300.jpg

My Spector Spectorcore fiver is quite light and a decent playing bass, tho I don't see any details in your profile to know if its feature set would jive with your needs.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

The easiest fix for this is for you to get a better strap. Go a bit wider, and with some padding. It's always easier to get a strap that might cost you anywhere from $30 - $75. Finding a bass that works in your hands is a little more difficult.

Hollowbody 5 strings aren't exactly a huge part of the 5 string bass market. But there are some boutique bass builders that are chambering the bodies of their basses in order to make them a bit lighter. The thing is, they don't exactly come cheap.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

The easiest fix for this is ....

A stool.

Just half kidding. A wide strap is a good place to start, but the strap only helps if it's your shoulder that hurts. Don't bother with that funny dual strap gizmo; it hangs the bass too far to the left making it a silly long stretch to that first fret. Me? I have to sit down; no two ways about it. We'll see what happens in the spring after the replacement parts come in....

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

the lightest bass I've ever tried is the Dingwall ABZ 5. Swamp ash body and maple neck. I really love it. Also Elrick basses are very light

based on the general lack of a top horn on the thunderbird, perhaps a more ergonomic bass is more in order than a specifically lighter weight bass. peavey cirrus or similarly horned?

http://www.imusician.co.uk/acatalog/00069929.jpg

notice how the horn extends to nearly the 12th fret. perhaps something like this is what you should be looking for.

Perhaps something from the Daisy Rock collection :laugh: :

http://www.activebass.com/images/store/small/DR_14-6121L.gif

I dunno. The short horn would make for some nasty neck dive.

Yes. I know. Short Horn. Good name for a band.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Excellent suggestions all! I've got a wide, padded strap already, so I figure the next thing to try is a lighter bass. Or start playing more reasonable gigs!

The Rob Allen basses look interesting....

They are pretty amazing. I have a short scale Mouse and it sounds very much like a mic'ed up upright. More than my EUB did actually. They have a great sound. I know guys use them in all genres, but I don't know that I would choose to do that. It nails the upright thing do jazz that's for sure.

i got a couple of lightweight cheap straps at sam ash. the are kind of like leather on the top and bottom but inside is rolled padding. i think they were about $20 each and are my new favorite strap. really soft and very supportive. kind of like an old girlfriend...
B

How about a Fender Aerodyne P+J? They're lightweight, classy looking, and 5 strings are available, but rare. There's 1 on eBay right now (out of Japan). Other than that, for the money, I'd go with an Ibanez SR series model...

The Aerodyne is a great idea. I didn't know they made a 5-string. Thanks for that!

Virgin Dog, if you were closer, I'd trade you, as I've always wanted a 5 string Thunderbird.

I had heard that Gibson stopped making the 5-string, so I bought a second one. It was even better than the first.

Just this week, I ran into a a Gibson employee who said that they're still making the 5. It's nowhere to be seen on their web site though.

based on the general lack of a top horn on the thunderbird, perhaps a more ergonomic bass is more in order than a specifically lighter weight bass. peavey cirrus or similarly horned?

http://www.imusician.co.uk/acatalog/00069929.jpg

notice how the horn extends to nearly the 12th fret. perhaps something like this is what you should be looking for.

I thought this was a valuable bit of advice that seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. A bass with a longer top horn, as robb. suggests, might offer similar benefits to a lights instrument.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived