Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This thing is a Beast!

Alchemist

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically, this is semi-modular, meaning all inputs and outputs available but behind a single front panel instead of being able to swap individual modules.

I can't tell if it is also normalled, meaning some jacks are wired behind the panel for convenience.

It's essentially the same instrument as their previous Vostok, which had an EMS-style pin matrix patch bay in addition to individual jacks.

Moe

---

i thought semi-modular meant that that the wiring was done so sound would be produced even without patch cables. Adding patch cables just changes the sound as opposed to completely modular where no sound is produced without patching everything together.

Semi vs full modular is about the packaging - is each module on a separate front panel so that it can be swapped out or not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_synthesizer#Semi-modular_synthesizers

Normalled is whether there are convenience connections behind the panel that can be overridden. A normalled synth can usually make noise without any patch cables.

A Mini, even with some I/O brought out to jacks, is a FIXED architecture synth, because the audio path VCOs->mixer->VCF->VCA is hardwired - no way to alter it without modding.

Moe

---

I looked at one and the Vostok when I was looking into modulars. It's nice but I think you could put together a much more flexable eurorack system for the price. Or for a little more you could start a good dotcom system. Both options are much more expandable, but that may or may not be a good thing.

I built a large synth in MOTM format awhile back. If I get back into modulars at some point (and I expect I will ), the next one I build will probably be in Euro format. That seems to be where the most exotic and exciting modules are being built these days.

It will also be portable this time - built into a zero halliburton case, or maybe a fold up boat design like the buchla 200e.

Moe

---

Yes, there are some kits. Not as many as there used to be, though - and probably more available in large format than small.

Best roundup of current manufacturers is at:

http://modularsynth.com/

although that doesn't reflect some of the newer activity in the Eurorack format.

Best forum for hardware modular synthesis:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/

The first thing to decide is what physical format your system is going to be in. There are several standards for module size: synthesizers.com, moog (moog format), MOTM, Oakley, Encore (MOTM format), Blacet and PAIA (Frac rack format), and Doepfer plus a whole slew of others (Euro rack format).

Large format provides ample finger space for tweaking knobs and jacks. Systems can consume lots of physical space though. Small format provides compactness at the expense of ergonomics. If you set up a dense patch, you may be reaching gingerly thru a maze of cables to tweak a rather small knob. Both have their advantages.

If you decide to buy stuff from different vendors and integrate it to a single system, you also need to make sure that the power supply requirements are met.

Signal levels between manufacturers are sometimes different, but you generally can plug anything into anything else and have it work. The main exception might be trigger levels for envelope generators - some use the 5 volt standard and some require higher.

Moe

---

Archived