Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

question about footswitches

LeesKeys

I'm using a Kurzweil PC3. I am planning to purchase 2 on/off foot switches for patch-advance. It seems there are at least two types of switches- momentary and latch. I tried a latch switch but didn't like it because I have to press the button twice to move it off the current program and again to advance it to the next one. So I guess I need to buy the Momentary type.

I've found a Hosa brand switch which seems to be what I need HERE- this is an "open" switch. There's also the FSC-503, which is a "closed" switch. What's the difference? Would one better for what I need?

Suggestions for other reasonably priced brands?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is called (wrongly) the polarity of the pedal.

The PC3 will automatically detect which type of switch (normally open or normally closed) when you switch it on. The important thing is not to press them while the PC3 is booting or it will detect them as the wrong type.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Based on what Mike says, it's better to get normally open switches, because for a normally closed switch to work, it has to be plugged in when you power up (or it'll be backwards).

I don't understand why anyone designs gear for normally closed. Normally open has the following advantages:

- Most failures are "fail open" for either type (due to cable or connector failure). I'd rather fail with the sustain pedal UP than DOWN!

- Easy to connect two pedals to one input (say, for left and right foot on opposite sides of an expression pedal), using a standard Y adaptor. With NC, you have to do a custom wiring job.

- You don't need the pedal plugged in when you power up, for "learning" keyboards.

Does anyone know *any* advantages to normally-closed? I can't think of any. So why do manufacturers ever design for normally closed? (Not talking about the ones that handle either, talking about the ones that default to or require NC, like NE2. Yeah, the NE has a switch to work the other way, but it doesn't work correctly: the debouncing doesn't work for the Leslie speed control.)

I use 2 types boss FS5U unlatch momentary for program changes and FS5L latched for on/off fx, Lesly slow/fast, i can use the momentary all of that but the latched one has a light so i know if something is on or off if i do a swell or if the monitor is too far To tell by ear

You did good LeesKeys, the Hosa's are solid and inexpensive. I have two, a latched that I use with my Traynor K4 to switch on the tube overdrive and an open momentary one that I use with my digital recorder. I forget the model numbers but they work great and are heavy duty, small and solid and only cost like $12 each.

The normally open is the way to go. I'm with Jeff on this. I don't know why keyboard mfgs would even want to make there sustain pedals have a normally closed config. It just doesn't make sense like Lear says. They should definitely make normally open an industry standard. Luckily the Kurzweil boards are adaptable to either type of pedal.

I can see situations where you'd want a normally closed momentary with an effects unit but sustain on a keyboard, no way.

The other good thing about the Hosa's is they come with a nice long cable attached. When I was looking at these switches several brands like Boss are just the switch and you need to supply your own cable. That sort of sucks as the cable is an additional cost and just one more thing that you can lose or forget to pack in your gig bag.

D.

When I was looking at these switches several brands like Boss are just the switch and you need to supply your own cable. That sort of sucks as the cable is an additional cost and just one more thing that you can lose or forget to pack in your gig bag.

Unless of course you're a guitar player and only need a 1' cable to connect the pedal to your pedalboard... or a remote keyboardist who needs to run a 25' cable from the front of the stage over to your rig next to the drums... or someone that can't solder to save your life, and has a collection of momentary pedals at home with broken or intermittent cables. :snax:

Feel free to send me any broken pedals! I think I've fixed every one I own at least once.

I'd prefer jacks to built-in cables; I'd make a short snake to connect them. Most of the failures are cable failures, it would be nice to be able to substitute a cable when one breaks during a gig. I'd probably leave the snake plugged into the pedals, so it wouldn't add any setup time.

May I "borrow" this thread for a little while?

I own a Hammond XK 3C, what type of foorswitch should I use

for changing the Leslie speed?

I tried a simple on off momentary switch with a mono jack,

the same I use for my Nord Electro3HP but I can not make it change

the speed on the Hammond.

Any suggestions?

thanks, cheers

otto

C3 & 122, XK3C & 3300, SK2 & Ventilator/3300

I own a Hammond XK 3C, what type of foorswitch should I use

for changing the Leslie speed?

I tried a simple on off momentary switch with a mono jack,

the same I use for my Nord Electro3HP but I can not make it change

the speed on the Hammond.

Any suggestions?

thanks, cheers

otto

Read p.65 of the XK-3c manual. The type of pedal discussed above will work just fine, but you need to be sure to program the Hammond to interpret it as you'd like.

It sounds as though you have it programmed for MOM (Momentary), where the Leslie will only change state as long as you're holding the pedal down, otherwise it'll revert to Chorale (slow).

LESLIE S/F ALT, MOM:

These are for switching SLOW/FAST of the Leslie Effect. At ALT, SLOW/FAST is alternately switched at each step of the Foot Switch, and it switches OFF if pressed for longer than 1 second. At MOM, the Leslie effect gets Faster, as long as you keep pressing the foot switch, and it gets Slower if you release it.

Set Foot Switch to LESLIE S/F ALT, and you'll get the result you want.

In addition, another Leslie speed control parameter was added some time ago that isn't in the manual:

Foot switch option is updated. Leslie S/F Alt

works only slow and fast. Leslie S/F Tri works

slow, fast and stop (same as previous versions

of Leslie S/F Alt).

FWIW I use a double footswitch on my XK-1. One side controls leslie speed; the other sustain, to hold out a chord while bangin' out something on my other board - great for those big-finish-fanfare endings. :cool:

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Archived