Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beginner - guestion on fingering

Cezar20

I'm working through a Seth Riggs singing book which contains a vocal exercise that has eight notes in 3/4, it goes

C2, E2, G2, C3, E3, G3, F3, D3, B2,G2, F2, D2, C2

what is the correct fingering/hand position for this please?

When I go to transpose it in another key will the fingering stay the same?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about (thumb =1, little finger=5 etc):

1, 2, 3, 1, 3, 5, 4, 2, 1, 4, 3, 2, 1

Although others may disagree...

The fingering may not always stay the same in a different key, for example it can be awkward to put your thumb on a black note. Be guided by what feels comfortable, and try and plan ahead when playing so you don't have to move your hand too much.

Hope that helps

I'll be contrarian and start with 2 on the low C (then 3 on the E) so as to put the thumb cross-under between the E and G rather than between the G and the high C as the others have suggested above. Also, by doing it my way you end up with 5 on the high G (while maintaining 1 on the low G), which facilitates the descending phrase.

Larry.

And yes, the fingerings are going to change from key to key.

I would play it 1,2,1,2,3,5,4,2,1,3,2,1,2 or the last four 3,1,2,1 if you want to end with the thumb. Not a really academic fingering

what is the correct fingering/hand position for this please?

there's not such thing as correct fingering, you have the academic concepts of fingering but then you have to figure out which fingering suits your hand better (can be the academic one or something different). In general, the better hand position is the one that enables you to play the arpeggios legato in a natural way (no hand jumping) :)

When I go to transpose it in another key will the fingering stay the same?

No, the fingerings will change. Will be very similar for relative minor transpositions, but in general each scale (and each arpeggio) have different fingerings

Archived