Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SP170 vs Yamaha P95 vs Casio CDP200...or Roland FP4

Cezar20

Hi all, used to lurk here a decade ago when I first attempted to play. Put the instrument down for that decade and am now a little older and not that much wiser but am now hell bent on really learning how to play the piano.

Live in Sydney, Australia. Have a budget of sub $1,000 AU.

Key requirements: as un-techie as possible - whilst MIDI interfaces, non-piano sounds, ability to microwave TV dinners would be nice my main aim is to find an instrument that will allow me to really just play. Feel and sound that best replicates the real thing (well given the budget) with as little distraction as possible. Been the midi controller/XV2020 sound module route and it's not for me.

Narrowed it down to the SP170, P95 and CDP200 as they seem to be the best sellers in Oz at that sub $1K range.

From what I gather: Korg: popular (bloody hard to source actually!). Limited and really prides itself on simplicity. Yamaha: I can't seem to fault it for the price?. Casio: Reviews say it's bang for buck but "tries to do too much".

All signs point to the Yamaha. But wait, there's more. I've been offered a $1600 Roland FP4. I can justify blowing my budget for the reasons: that I'll most likely "grow out" of the cheaper models quickly anyway. However, a Roland FP4F can be had for about $1900. Seems like a negligible price difference but seriously, the $1600 would already be a big stretch for me.

Thoughts?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the P95 is an excellent choice for the ones mentioned. If I were buying a Casio the PX3 would be more my choice. I have the PX330 and its a decent piano, its the non-piano sounds that leave one wanting. It does have a great little drum machine. I have found it helpful to use a drum machine when practicing instead of a plain metronome, especially when learning Latin grooves. It can record your playing to boot. I use it for practicing and have been real pleased with it.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I prefer the P95 to the SP170. Also, strictly for piano playing, I prefer the P95 to the Casio PX-330 or PX-3 (though the PX-3 has a lot of advantages for non-piano use). There have been some older Casios that I've thought were better than those from strictly a piano perspective, and that I might prefer to the P95, but I'm not familiar with the CDP-200.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks guys, funny that, I was leaning towards the P95 when mulling it over as well.

I won't stretch my budget to the Roland (well not yet anyway). That extra dosh could be better allocated musically. Books, loads of sheet music, etc.

I'm not overly concerned with non-piano sounds at all, I will be playing piano 95% of the time, E.P. and maybe some organ the other 5%.

Rhythm and other stuff are of no importance either, I have my Macbook, a Dr Boss metronome etc.

For this purchase it's really all about value for money and piano simplicity.

Rhythm and other stuff are of no importance either, I have my Macbook, a Dr Boss metronome etc.

For this purchase it's really all about value for money and piano simplicity.

Hard to beat the P95 for that criteria.

FYI, the P95 has a metronome built-in. :thu:

Archived