Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Key sticking S70XS, advice needed.

DanS

Well it may be that the condensation on the keys from that outdoor gig I did a few weeks ago did indeed affect my S70XS.

Last jam I noticed middle D wasn't as responsive as the rest of the keybed.

At last night's practice, it actually stayed down at the end of a song with a synth patch .

There's no visible damage to the key that I can see, at eye level they are all perfectly level and aligned.

Anyway, it looks like I need to open 'er up and take a look inside.

Anyone comfortable enough with this to give me a few pointers of what to look for?

Who knows, maybe it's a squished cricket....

Thanks,

Dan

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan, I have had this problem with the same key on a S70xs. The key has never stuck but it is sluggish compared to others. When I push it down slowly with pressure to one side, the resistance increases. I opened it up, removed the key and expected to see a cracked or broken key. The key looked fine. I'll be bringing it to the shop soon.

I had done a search on Yammies, and yeah they have been replacing keybeds for free over the years, I just assumed they'd fixed the problem by now. Can't really afford the time to send it anywhere though. Guess I'll get in touch with them.

Thanks.

Well perhaps it's not 'exactly' the same problem, but the symptoms are near identical.

I don't hammer the shit out of the hammers, so for a 2 year old keyboard to be suddenly doing this, I'm less than impressed.

I guess my Motif will be going in for this upgrade, as it has a lower B# key with similar issues :( . Good thing is, I wouldn't have known about this problem if it was not for the KC :):thu:.

My world: www.chriselkins.ca

Roland D-70/SC-55, Kawai K5000s, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY-99, Technics SX-U90P 'Pro90'

"I've heard a lot worse!"

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I spoke to Yamaha Canada, and they have agreed to look at the keyboard under warranty. They recently decided to extend their normal 1 year to 2 years, so I'm covered.

However, I have to bring the S70xs back to the store where I bought it, and they will send it on a 5hr trip to Ontario to the Yammie warehouse in Scarborough. Thing is, I don't have the box anymore, but I guess if the store has one on the floor, they could send mine in that box...<?>.

Another issue is that I have a gig on October 1st, and depending on what turnaround time I get from Yammie, it could be a problem.

Our next gig would be at the end of October, so that would give me more time to 'git her done'.

What's yous guys experience with service centers, do they jump right on it, or does it wallow in a black hole for a few weeks before they have a peek.

Any suggs welcomed.

See if you can work something out with the srore. Maybe you can take a keyboard out on loaner status even if you have to leave a credit card number. Bring it back when your board comes in. I`ve done this before with Guitar Center. They charged me a restocking fee. It was still much less then renting one would`ve been. Good Luck.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Custom B-3 Chop w/ 145 Leslie

My firm used to be an Authorized Yamaha Service Center. Our own business philosophy was to get things done as quickly as possible (no money till the job's done, ya know). However, unless things have changed radically, Yamaha will not pay the service center for all the labor required to do component-level repair - the general idea is that the service center orders the complete keybed assembly (which is then charged at service center cost to the service center, and shipped out). Once received, the swap is made, and the service center returns the original keybed assembly to Yamaha (they are then credited with the return against the original invoice).

Only issue I see here is that it is unlikely that a typical Service Center will already have the keybed in stock for that model. Back when I was doing it, all the Yamaha parts came from California (but I'm in the US, so this might be different with Canada).

IF they have the keybed in stock, changing it is not that time consuming, so it could be back to you in time for your gig. If they don't have the keybed in stock, the liklihood that the repair will be ocmpleted and back to you decreases quite a bit.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived