Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going to BPL

Ed Friedland

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should be there for at least Saturday. We'll see if the wife is ok with me going on Sunday too.

And, I'll be the lone voice here saying "Keep BPL in LA!", but start another one back up on the east coast too, for my bass brothers (and sisters).

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

I won't make the trip from the east coast this year.

I think about coming west, but the time of year is difficult. My wife's birthday falls in that timeframe. It wasn't great when it was in NY for that reason.

Let's see - last time Ed was at BPL he gave a seminar. I was the only person to step up and try one of his exercises (I got it mostly right).

Ed - Enjoy!!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Yeah, NY was fun. Frankly I HATE LA, and despise having to be there for any reason. That said, I'm going anyway. I'm just attending this one, the clinic and concert roster is jam packed full of bass superstars, but I'll probably have to do some MC duties in one of the rooms. I just got the schedule from Chris Jisi, and will post it soon.

Frankly I HATE LA, and despise having to be there for any reason.

Ouch!!

Actually I'm not a fan of most of Los Angeles proper myself. Traffic is always bad, it's crowded, dirty, no parking, etc. I'm in the OC myself and rarely venture north.

But, I think I'd have a hard time convincing Bass Player to move the event to Huntington Beach or Newport. Not too many studios down there!

• 4 weeks later...

Just signed up last night. Don't know if this is against protocol, but I received a BP email with a code for discounted pricing. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

I'm only going on Saturday (and not even to the concert) which is a bummer since the Sunday lineup looks pretty good: Larry Graham, Jack Casady, James Jamerson Jr., Anthony Jackson...whew! Hopefully it will still be a good time on Saturday, we'll see.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I'm apparently one of the only LL members who made it to BPL this past weekend (and I only went to Saturday), here's my review in list form:

10. Downsides first:

a) Traffic stinks - almost 2 hours to get home.

b) Sunset Blvd in LA is a crazy, crazy place. My friend and I said several times, "You'd never see THAT in Orange County." Like the guy zipping by on his bike, riding hands free, turned sideways and not watching where he's going, with a cup of tea/coffee in one hand and doing tai chi moves with the other hand.

c)The constant din of all the slap players at full volume trying to outdo each other in relatively small rooms. I guess I comment on that a lot, because my wife said "All I hear after you go to these things is how much you hate slap." I don't hate slap - it's fantastic in many contexts - but all the noise gets to you after a long day.

9. Free stuff = strings, Planet Waves instrument rest, t-shirt, posters, ear plugs, picks, etc. Not too bad.

8. Introduced myself to Ed after the session with Janek Gwizdala (great, by the way). I wanted to chat a bit but had to get out of there for a phone call. He had some good intelligent questions for Janek, as one would expect.

7. Even more impressed in person with the

. It really seems to keep the low end in there. I am planning to pick one up soon and will write a full review when that happens.

6. JoStLe (Jonas Hellborg, Steve Bailey, and Lee Sklar) were a lot of fun, especially their interaction. Lee is awesome, he is no nonsense and his groove is unstoppable.

5. I went looking to pick out a five-string Spector and strangely wound up really liking the Ibanez Gary Willis signature bass. I want a fretless and I want a five-string, this one is both and even though I'm not really an Ibanez guy I definitely like this.

4. Last session of the day: Abraham Laboriel. What a guy! What stories! Quote (that he got from a mentor): "The bass is the house where all musicians find refuge. If you don't do your job, you leave everyone homeless."

3. I saw this at the Fender booth. It was awesome - one of the best necks I've ever played and a really loud growl. Fender only made 30 of them. Can someone loan me 6 grand?

2. At the Ampeg booth with a rep looking at the limited Portaflex. He's showing me the details and I look up and there's Jonas Hellborg standing next to me, listening. We all talk about that amp and Ampeg for 10 minutes or so. The next session was starting, but you can bet I wasn't going anywhere. One of my favorite parts of going to BPL is rubbing elbows with these folks who are a million times better than I am and still be treated like an equal. I think we bassists really do have a good community.

and....

1. Marcus Miller! At the Fender booth! Free signed picture, handshake, photo op. Really nice guy and very patient. I was thrilled to say the least.

So that's my take on it. Love to hear from anyone else who was there, especially if you made it to the concert or on Sunday.

BPL was a blast. Fun to hang with the superstars and regular folks of the bass world. Sorry about the phone call Russell, nice to meet you though. I agree about the slap thing... it gets old quickly. It's funny how bass players resort to this (myself included) when there is no band to play with. Funk in E...

I took away a lot of inspiration from people like Janek, Adam Nitti, Hadrien... these guys are playing at a level I can only dream about. Seriously. I don't have it within me to get there, but I can take the inspiration they give me and apply it to something that is relevant to me.

Saw some cool gear. The new Fender tube amps are killer. I'd love to have one, but I doubt I'd ever carry around a 60lb head these days. The new G&L M2000, 2500 are nice too. I agree about the Gary Willis bass, and awesome instrument. And their new Prestige series with the Nordys are great too. Source Audio has a new little programmable EQ pedal that looks very handy, MXR has a new Bass Fuzz that is pretty nasty (in a nice way). Alleva Coppollo basses are killer! Played some great Ken Smiths.... A fun weekend overall.

I took away a lot of inspiration from people like Janek, Adam Nitti, Hadrien... these guys are playing at a level I can only dream about. Seriously. I don't have it within me to get there, but I can take the inspiration they give me and apply it to something that is relevant to me.

Ed c'mon seriously? I struggle to believe that. In any case the ultimate test of a bass player is to play something inspired that fits the music. Bassiness that creates something new and unique. I doubt there's anyone that could teach you in that department?

Cheers

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Sure, I always do my best to play something musical within the context of the music, and within my abilities. I'm just saying I accept the fact that I will never have the facility on the instrument these guys have. It's a simple fact. These dudes are playing technically beyond my comprehension, and in the case of these few players... are making some awesome music. I admire that, and like I said, can take bits of inspiration from it, but have no illusions that I would ever be in that league. And I'm fine with that.

And yes.... there are a great many people that can teach me a lot about many things musically and bass-wise. Absolutely.

How about a BPL in the good old midwest? Leave both coasts out of it and have it where the good folks live, the heart of America - North Dakota. October is beautiful here. We don't have 2 feet of snow. It's not cold. The high is like 60 for today. People are nice. We have very little to no access to anything cool musically without driving 100's of miles for hours at a time. People are starving to see and hear great players and get to finger some new gear.

Just a thought.

Haven't wandered down to this board for a while... but was looking for any BPL content.

I was down in the LA area on business (I'm east), so I managed to free a day and attend Sat. A great day, and a great concert. There's more of a brotherhood with bassists than I see with guitar/drums/vox - and everyone that I met was approachable and friendly.

Ed - I briefly saw you there, and was going to introduce myself. For no other reason that when I had your Slap DVD on, my wife commented that you kinda look like me. To keep up the matching look, I now have to grow out my goatee.

js

• 7 months later...

FYI, in case you're like me and rarely venture into the Editor's Office section:

BPL will be October 20-21 at S.I.R. in Los Angeles. We're working on our list of clinicians and Lifetime Achievement Award recipients right now. Hope you can make it -- promises to be pretty awesome!

Barring an unforeseen circumstance (death), I'll be there in October and will buy a fancy lunch (Jack in the Box) on Saturday for any Lowdowners that can make it. :)

FYI, in case you're like me and rarely venture into the Editor's Office section:

BPL will be October 20-21 at S.I.R. in Los Angeles. We're working on our list of clinicians and Lifetime Achievement Award recipients right now. Hope you can make it -- promises to be pretty awesome!

Barring an unforeseen circumstance (death), I'll be there in October and will buy a fancy lunch (Jack in the Box) on Saturday for any Lowdowners that can make it. :)

Make that offer an In-N-Out Burger, and I'll give it serious consideration.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Definitely worth the effort IME. Did the first few in the NYC, had a blast, saw many interesting things, heard a lot of, ummm, "interesting" things, copped some free swag and had fun.

Still using the 5 string set of Chromes I got the first year for free from a D'Addario rep, and I still can't find those reliably in my town.

Had lunch with our own Tom Capasso and Thomas Brinkley, hung with Dr. Sweet Willie, Nick, and Maury, met some famous bass types, saw many awesome seminars, played some cool gear, and had a blast.

Met Dave Ellefson the first year, the second year he saw me and approached me like an old friend. Nice guy. Jeff Berlin, Bukithi Kumalo, Billy Sheehan, all seemed like cool peeps. Will Lee was just stellar.

I hope you attend and have fun. I had a blast. :D

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Make that offer an In-N-Out Burger, and I'll give it serious consideration.

The Jack in the Box is right on the next corner. The In-N-Out is over a half a mile away. But Groove Mama, if you come out I promise to make the walk to In-N-Out and brave the lunchtime lines. ;)

Archived