Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How does this setup work?

Gary75

Mark de Clive Lowe is a favourite of mine. But how does all this beatmaking live looping work?

[video:youtube]

I'd like to get into this kind of performing but I don't have a lot of knowledge about the other DJ type tools.

Does the MPC3000 do the recording and looping of the Rhodes for instance? And does the midi capable keys loop via midi or again audio? I don't think it does, but there's no mention of a laptop anywhere (which is what I'd like to use)

I'd like to give it a go at doing this kind of thing for my final music performance on my degree course.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark de Clive Lowe is a favourite of mine. But how does all this beatmaking live looping work?

I'd like to get into this kind of performing but I don't have a lot of knowledge about the other DJ type tools.

Does the MPC3000 do the recording and looping of the Rhodes for instance? And does the midi capable keys loop via midi or again audio? I don't think it does, but there's no mention of a laptop anywhere (which is what I'd like to use)

I'd like to give it a go at doing this kind of thing for my final music performance on my degree course.

My guess:

The MPC is the main axe.

Even he´s able to play all keys in realtime, the synth stuff can be triggered by MIDI from the MPC incl. the built in VA synth.

It seems, he´s recording patterns live on the MPC,- MIDI and audio, all in sync w/ the playback tracks.

MPC5000 offers:

high-resolution sequencing engine,

64-track continuous sampling,

random and cycle-sample playback,

turntable preamp,

virtual analog synth,

eight-track direct-to-disk recorder,

650MB samples

I don´t know this MPC in depth, but it might be possible to set this thing in a general loop recording mode while switching MIDI and audio tracks, doing overdub recording etc. and playing back everything immediatedly after punch out.

He´s well able to jam w/ himself and it looks like he did that endless before.

Turntable(s) connected to the DJ mixer, DJ mixer connected to MPC.

There might be another mixer for all the keys, running (group or direct) outputs to the MPC audio ins.

That way, he´s able to decide what´s recorded and what´s played back at a given time,- and he´s very good in assigning MPC pads to samples on the fly, muting and unmuting stuff etc..

It´s a matter of clever signal pre-wireing & routing and a basic layout of the show is essential.

In any case, there´s a learning curve to realize that kind of performance.

You couldn´t do that w/ a laptop IMO,- the MPC is a great machine, it always was in the past w/ the older models.

MIDI is extremely tight and I assume the audio together w/ MIDI is too.

The controls are much more intuitive than a laptop screen, mouse, keyboard and flimsy pad- and control-button/slider combos.

I worked w/ hardware sequencers in the 80th and early 90th,- and they were ALL much tighter w/ MIDI than any computer/software I owned,- also better than ATARI MIDI which is the best up today if you trigger external gear w/ MIDI from a computer.

MPC is outstanding !

A.C.

You couldn´t do that w/ a laptop IMO,- the MPC is a great machine, it always was in the past w/ the older models.

MIDI is extremely tight and I assume the audio together w/ MIDI is too.

The controls are much more intuitive than a laptop screen, mouse, keyboard and flimsy pad- and control-button/slider combos.

You could do the same thing with a laptop running Ableton with an MPD/APC/Launchpad controller and a good multichannel audio interface.

You could do the same thing with a laptop running Ableton with an MPD/APC/Launchpad controller and a good multichannel audio interface.

Theoretically yes,- but a friend and professional (!) bassplayer had a bad experience w/ Ableton Live on a Macbook Pro in front of the audience and while I was present .

The rig already failed at the soundcheck after a transport from rehearsal room to the venue and it was impossible to find out why everything ran fine during rehearsals and didn´t work at the venue which was a indoor jazz festival.

Well known mid-size club w/ good tech organization and no electricity probs.

The Macbook was fine and there were 2 1/2 hrs time between soundcheck and gig, all was prewired in a rack,- troubleshooting in front of the audience ´til the 1st note, no fix.

The drummer, waiting for click and backing, pulled out his in-ears and throwed ´em away.

There was also nothing in the PA and monitors.

The, luckily, 5-piece band had to perform without all the loops and tracks.

It was the typical "gremlins-type" of issue which can happen w/ computers and software always and every second.

A.C.

We don't need to get into a war of anecdotes. Gear fails. Plenty of pro tours use laptops, albeit with A/B rigs.

Sven was countering your assertion that you could NOT do that with a laptop. You could, absolutely... whether you WANT to is another (pointless) debate. :)

I make software noises.

Sven was countering your assertion that you could NOT do that with a laptop. You could, absolutely... whether you WANT to is another (pointless) debate. :)

Thanks, John; considering that the OP stated quite clearly that he wants to use a laptop, I would've thought that the point was clear enough. Not for some, apparently. ;):thu:

Hey thanks for the info guys. And yes, I have a shiny year old 17" MBP that I'd like to actually use more than what I am doing. In fact, Im going to be learning how to use Ableton Live and a Launchpad in my final year. I'm eager to start learning before I go back. I guess I'd be best off with a Launchpad as that's the controller I am going to be using, although I see there are other more MPC like controllers available.

Deep respect to those who know how to do all of this stuff as well as play keys.

Just chiming in here to say I think Ableton Live is one of the most intuitive programs I've ever used. I don't use it for real-time performance, but most of my songwriting/preproduction happens in that program. So easy to change arrangements around on the fly and create new loops! I want to add here that my approach to music is decidedly lo-tech; I think I can learn programs, hardware, etc reasonably quickly but choose not to integrate it into my artistic process (as obvious when you consider my choice of musical pursuits these days is jazz piano trio). So if I find it easy, someone with much more interest in (and patience for) the technological side of music-making should find it a snap! :cool:

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Thanks, John; considering that the OP stated quite clearly that he wants to use a laptop, I would've thought that the point was clear enough. Not for some, apparently. ;):thu:

Thx Sven, your posts entertain me always.

The title of the tread is "How does THIS setup work?" and the 2nd line is the OP is "But how does all this beatmaking live looping work?"

I tried to explain, that´s it.

The OP wants to use a laptop, but wasn´t able to recognize any in THAT rig which is no wonder because there isn´t one.

In opposite, the artist, presenting an amazing performance, made a selection of gear for that performance using hardware only.

Ask him why he did yourself,- my guess is,- it´s more reliable and far more intuitive.

According to Ableton Live,- I don´t touch it and I don´t recommend it,- there are more reasons for that I don´t want to discuss here or anywhere else.

A.C.

NI Maschine is a combination of dedicated controller and computer-based sampler that could easily let you do all you want = good demo here http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/maschine/?content=1194&page=1526

Yes, that can be a option when Komplete 8 is in the (my) house and because Machine hardware controller exists for Machine software.

Machine hardeware controller appears MPC style to me.

A.C.

Hey thanks for the info guys. And yes, I have a shiny year old 17" MBP that I'd like to actually use more than what I am doing. In fact, Im going to be learning how to use Ableton Live and a Launchpad in my final year.

I'm in the same boat as you. I picked up a Live Suite/Launchpad bundle a couple of months ago, along with Max For Live as part of the "buy Live Suite, get Max For Live free" promotion. The discounts were such that the Launchpad was virtually free. You can even use it as a MIDI controller for entering beats and such, though you may have to go back and edit velocity values, as the Launchpad is not velocity sensitive - by default it sends MIDI Velocity=127 but that can be adjusted.

Maybe the padKontrol from Korg in conjunction with Ableton Live will offer me something. I like the Kaoss 'thing' with all the effects, but I figure if I got the padKontrol with the X-Y and just use Abletons built in effects, it will be less equipment to route/setup

Incase it doesn't work out and I actually don't/can't get into it, I'll probably stay clear of Maschine as it's expensive. I even looked at the educational price, but of course, should I want to sell it, I can't transfer the licence under educational software rules.

Basically, if i can record and loop my keyboards and trigger loops, that's all I'm after. I already own an Mbox 2 mini and will use the two inputs for my non-midi keys. I wonder if there is a do it all controller keyboard with MPC and X-Y pad that I could get for Ableton Live.

Thx Sven, your posts entertain me always.

The title of the tread is "How does THIS setup work?" and the 2nd line is the OP is "But how does all this beatmaking live looping work?"

I tried to explain, that´s it.

No, that's not it. You went on to say that a laptop wouldn't suit. Sven countered that statement. You rebutted with an anecdote.

You have a lot to contribute here. Please don't muddy it up with this kind of stuff.

No, that's not it. You went on to say that a laptop wouldn't suit. Sven countered that statement. You rebutted with an anecdote.

Thank you, Jeff. :cool:

You have a lot to contribute here. Please don't muddy it up with this kind of stuff.

Agreed.

That was the 2nd post, not my 1st one.

When someone came up w/ Ableton, my 2nd post was the reply.

Anyway, feel free to use your laptops, Ableton or whatever it is, several USB input devices for pads sliders and other stuff and believe it´s a MPC.

In the case of my friends performance it didt work, it was horrible and if I see something like this, I know I don´t want to have that scenario.

"gear fails" s a stupid comment.

It´s up to you to accept that or not.

I own a lot of gear which never failed in 20 years and that´s what I want, period.

I´m out of this discussion.

A.C.

Anyway, feel free to use your laptops, Ableton or whatever it is, several USB input devices for pads sliders and other stuff and believe it´s a MPC.

Is it okay with you if I use all that and believe it's a laptop with Ableton? :thu:

In the case of my friends performance it didt work, it was horrible and if I see something like this, I know I don´t want to have that scenario.

I saw a Honda Accord get absolutely destroyed by a tractor trailer on the highway once... it's never made me think twice about driving mine. :cool:

I´m out of this discussion.

Thanks for your contribution. :wave:

At this point I think someone offers someone a beer, and then it's man hugs all around.

AC often has detailed, helpful insights... although I'll say my comment was not so much "stupid" as it was "not helpful". :thu:

So, choices (yay!) with relative merits here. I think if I were doing the live beat/groove thing professionally, I'd give the MPC a serious look--or be willing to invest the time in making a super-stable laptop rig--but for the sort of one-off or experimentation thing, enh...

-John

I make software noises.

Incase it doesn't work out and I actually don't/can't get into it, I'll probably stay clear of Maschine as it's expensive. I even looked at the educational price, but of course, should I want to sell it, I can't transfer the licence under educational software rules.

Yes, if you get Ableton Live, you probably don't need Maschine, because you can load sample "racks" and stuff like that into Live.

I'd keep the Launchpad for launching Live clips and running certain Max For Live devices, particularly the Monome-like ones. My rig for solo performance will include a hardware synth keyboard, so I don't really need another keyboard controller. I might however have a used for a Korg Nanopad2 or a Nanokontrol.

Yes, if you get Ableton Live, you probably don't need Maschine, because you can load sample "racks" and stuff like that into Live.

Important distinction: the "Launchpad" version of Ableton that comes with that controller does not allow for editing of drum racks. I believe the APC-bundled version has the same limitation. Worth investigating before you plonk down your cash. :)

If you are going to buy Ableton Live you should get a wriggle on because they have got offers on expiring soon. But in any case Live suite plus Max for Live will cost much more than Maschine. (I have both by the way). Maschine plays nice with Live and vice versa, they are complementary with a lot of overlap. There are excellent youtubes of both to help you make up your mind and both have active forums.
"Just a tad more attack on the filter, Grandad!"

Important distinction: the "Launchpad" version of Ableton that comes with that controller does not allow for editing of drum racks. I believe the APC-bundled version has the same limitation. Worth investigating before you plonk down your cash. :)

The Live Suite + Launchpad bundle came with installers for the full suite, so I didn't encounter the drum rack limitation myself, but what you say is indeed worth mentioning. I also had to contact Ableton directly to get download authorization for my free copy of Max For Live.

I do recognize that the OP might not have access to the same deal I had back in April and would also encourage him to continue researching prices, features, etc.

Archived