Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Brites string cleaner

Markbassdude

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually just wipe strings down with a cleaning cloth, as often as possible during playing, and after playing as well.

Rounds usually last me 6 months to a year, flats seem to last forever.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Hi! I haven't heard of this stuff or tried it but if it's cheap enoung give it a shot and let us know how it goes. However in their add there was someting in a testamonial that says theres something oily in it and I don't know if that would be such a good thing especially if there's a build up.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I've used Ultraglide 65 String Conditioner on strings on and off for a while. However, my play does not involve very bright strings, usually Thomastik and other nickel rounds as well as Thom Jazz Flats, and since I don't change strings frequently I don't have any scientifically deduced results.

It seems the Dunlop would be something you'd use to avoid needing a cleaner, might also be worth considering.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

I usually never have to do more than wiping them down and I keep my strings on for quite a while.

What do you mean when you say they die? Loose brightness or definition?

Have you considered strings of a different material? If you have abnormally acidic sweat, that can effect the corrosion factor of certain metals.

If you answer these questions I may be of even less help, but someone else may have your answer.

I'm usually weary of products that make huge claims of extending the life of something that will wear out. Also, where string cleaners are concerned you have to consider what they may do to the fretboard and vice versa.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Yes, i mean they lose their brightness. I like how strings sound a little broken in, but after a few weeks, they just sound dull and muted. I've tried a bunch of strings, they all seem about the same. I do sweat a lot, and may have acid hands, i'm not sure.

I think I will give these a try. They're kind of expensive, but if they do make the strings last longer it'll be worth it. I'll let you know...

The best answer to keeping strings going are clean, dry hands.

Not always possible in the back of a crowded bar when the temp. is over 80 on a hot summer evening.........

:)

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Cleaning strings doesn't really do much, just as cleaning a cymbal won't make it sound "new." it's an illusion. It looks "brighter" so one thinks it "sounds" brighter.

Maybe if you're a heavy sweater you can cut down on the rate that strings go dead, but over time, no matter what, they will lose elasticity -- the main cause of them going dead.

Whenever metal vibrates, it changes molecular structure-- the molecules actually get farther apart. AFter a while it simply can not resonate as tightly, and that causes a sluggish (dull) sound. And obviously, wiping some dirt off the surface won't make any difference in the effect that has.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

I'm always wary about putting solutions on the strings, because often it feels like it's just causing more build up. For me, I try to focus on preventing build up. I like The String Cleaner. I use it after each time I play and it does a good job of preventing grime from building up and extends the life of the strings.

So i got these Bass Brites wipes yesterday and tried them out. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed.

I used one on my MM Stingray with DR low-riders, and after a few minutes the sound was noticeably brighter. Then I played it again this morning, and it was MUCH brighter - pretty much back to where I like them: a bit broken in sounding, but a nice clean high end. I'm psyched.

If these worked this well on mostly dead strings, I think they will do a really good job of keeping new strings staying new (I think that is what they are meant for, according to the package). I'm going to try that on my other bass and see how long they last, but so far, I'm really impressed with these.

Just got a newsletter from a car club I belong to- in an article "Here are just a few of the many uses of

water displacement, formulation successful

in 40th attempt (AKA WD-40)" it listed as #2

2. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings

I'm not one to use that spray that guitar players use, but some day I'll have to try it.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Ha, I don't know if WD-40 is in these little cloths, but it doesn't smell like it.

Btw, strings are still going strong and sounding new(ish). I found that you can use the same wipe, before and after you play, and that seems to really do the job. These now have a permanent spot in my gig bag.

Archived