Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Splendid Grand soundfont

JeffLearman

I've mentioned the Splendid Grand soundfont a few times before. I'm making it available for download from my website for a limited period. This is a nice woody, roomy piano, which I like for country and gospel. The highest velocity layer is harsh, so I often avoid it.

Here's the 136 MB stereo version, uncompressed except for zip:

http://learjeff.net/sf/splendid_136.zip (contains spendid_136.sf2)

Here's a demo: http://learjeff.net/audio/Angels_pianomix2.mp3

I found a copy of the 256MB version which I'm downloading now and if it works I'll post that also.

These play great using the sfz soundfont player, still available for free from Cakewalk. (Oddly, I'm having problems with sfz+.) I'm using an i7 with Win7 64-bit, and I have to run my host in XP compatibility mode for sfz to be able to open files.

Some time ago Akai released a number of grand pianos samples (in Akai sampler format) to the public to generate interest. It killed their servers, they took it down. SoundCreations converted them to sf2 format and distributed them for a number of years, but no longer do. From their post on rgcaudio it's clear that they were distributing it as a public service and do not claim any copyrights.

Back up to the directory to find my Rhodes soundfont, if you're interested.

Enjoy!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, the 256M version is disappointing, so far.

You can find it here (where I got it):

http://www.fileserve.com/file/m9y3Yba/Sound Creations Splendid Grand SoundFont.rar

But it needs work: release is very short and velocity layers don't seem right. I haven't fiddled with adjusting soundfonts in years, so I probably won't spend any time on this one. I'd have to set up the tools, if I can find them and they install.

Here's the 136 MB stereo version, uncompressed except for zip:

http://learjeff.net/sf/splendid_136.zip (contains spendid_136.sf2)

Thx,- but doesn´t work here,- 404 error file not found :-(

I found a copy of the 256MB version which I'm downloading now and if it works I'll post that also.

Well, that works according to your post below.

Back up to the directory to find my Rhodes soundfont, if you're interested.

Enjoy!

I have your Rhodes soundfont since a long time.

I like it and it was useful for me several times.

Thx !

A.C.

Thanks for the post but I really prefer Pianoteq, my neighbor has a Fizioni, I think the spelling is wrong, it's an extremely expensive Italian piano that is a dream to play. He spent a year flying all over the states looking at piano's, his wife wasn't too happy but after coming down to three very differnt one's he bought this one. He's in software and is filthy with earnings. The point is that he's played Pianoteq and several piano's sound very close to the one he has. Several of the Pianoteq's are Steinways and a couple are Bosendorfers, if you don't like those or the way they sound you are able to tweak them a lot. I play his new piano every chance I get, my PC3X's keys are so close but you know your playing an acoustic, very, very nice.

I could have resisted trying the soundfont but didn't , so here is a little recording made on my I7 server machine using fluidsynth/qsynth (Linux) at 96 kHz sample rate, using a fixed harmonizing step and some tube distortion plugin and digitally coupled lexicon effect:

guitpiahar1.mp3 44.1 Ks/s 256 kbps 1.6 MB mp3 (1min42)

First some guitar (with additional effect pedal), then the acoustic piano from above using the same signalpath, including some clips. probably some noise from the guitar and possibly some 'xruns' (Jack on Linux informing there were real or near misses in the audio processing). Delay however I kept pretty low at 5.33 mSec, apart from some of the effects which take a little time to process the samples.

I think the sound is nice. Analysing the samples and playing some deeper effects suggests it is from previous generations of machines, but nice and big and has some life and harmonic possibilities in it.

I recall there is a big free piano sample available elsewhere (as a demo file which is funcional), or maybe I mix that up with Gigasampler files. I could check my old discs if you like.

Theo

Son of a gun, I misspelled the file name. I fixed it; the link now works.

Glad you like the Rhodes, Al. :-) Some day when my wife has a long enough business trip, I'll haul my Rhodes back down from the attic, have friend help me revoice it to be a bit hotter in the top end, and resample it completely. This time I'll go for authenticity rather than recreating my own favorite Rhodes sound, so I'll leave out the EQ bump. I'll also avoid the problem with the bottom end farting in the top velocity layer.

Son of a gun, I misspelled the file name. I fixed it; the link now works.

Glad you like the Rhodes, Al. :-) Some day when my wife has a long enough business trip, I'll haul my Rhodes back down from the attic, have friend help me revoice it to be a bit hotter in the top end, and resample it completely. This time I'll go for authenticity rather than recreating my own favorite Rhodes sound, so I'll leave out the EQ bump. I'll also avoid the problem with the bottom end farting in the top velocity layer.

Hi !

Thx for fixing,- I´m just downloading.

Your Rhodes Soundfont exists since a long time and is better than many sampled Rhodes from that time.

I´m using it w/ that player:

http://www.prodyon-virtual-gear.com/crbst_7.html

"Phenome" v1.70

It´s free.

A.C.

Some day when my wife has a long enough business trip, I'll haul my Rhodes back down from the attic, have friend help me revoice it to be a bit hotter in the top end, and resample it completely.

How do you get consistent velocity on the Rhodes when sampling?

I would like to do some piano sampling when I have more time, but the way I see it, the first thing I'd need to do is create a mechanical device to hit the keys with repeatable velocity.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

I would like to do some piano sampling when I have more time, but the way I see it, the first thing I'd need to do is create a mechanical device to hit the keys with repeatable velocity.

Well, that´s the problem,- and best would be it´s MIDI driven offering the possibility to edit velocities in a sequencer.

A.C.

Nice of you to share your soundfonts, Jeff!

I haven't had a chance to check them out, though. Meanwhile, here's a quick question: I noticed on another thread that you mentioned that you've only used Gigastudio and Sfzs so far. On a wild hunch, are you using Linux? 'Cause those are the only two sample formats supported by native linux apps...

I ask out of sheer curiousity, since I used to mess around with Linux audio apps sometime ago.

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

No Linux for me, just Windoze. :-)

Al's right: that is the hardest part.

I experimented with making a "thumper", but everything I was able to jury rig made a LOT more noise when striking the key than my finger. That was recording the Rhodes electrically, too -- imagine how much more critical that would be when miking!

Instead I used my finger. I recorded a velocity layer at a time. For each layer, I set up the gain and had a peak level target. I struck a key and watched the peak level on the meter. If it wasn't right, I released the key quickly and tried again, until I hit the target zone.

My scripts ignored any samples that didn't last at least 2 seconds, so all the mis-hits were easily filtered out.

If my DAW had had RMS rather than peak meters, I'd have used them instead for my targets -- I think. Using peak levels worked well enough. I don't remember having to do any volume compensation between the ends of the keyboard.

I've used a Linux-based software which can sample any internal software/external hardware. Here's how it works: you set up the number of velocity layers you need, the key range (you can specify things like white keys only, or alternate keys), and the sampling resolution (depends upon the sound card, of course). Haven't used it with external hardware though.

Now I've been racking my brains, and searching on the net, and I can't remember what the damn thing was called...! I've also come across some Windows equivalents, but they were meant to sample internal VST synths, not external hardware. Again, the names escape me... I will let you know when I can remember!

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Here is another choice for a soundfont player Camel Audio - Alchemy Player

Yep,- good one, I have it too.

But it´s also a different beast.

The Prodyon Phenome is multitimbral, allows playing on 16 Midi channels simultaneously and setting up key zones and such.

Is great for layering soundfont instruments, also layering w/overlapping zones or opening several orchestral instruments w/ different articulations in one instance of a plugin,- Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra p.ex..

With Soundfonts, you can run into surprises,- some play best w/ one player, the others play better w/ the other one.

I´ve found out Phenome plays most I have, also these which don´t play w/ SFZ /SFZ+ or play back w/ much lower volume in other players.

A.C.

That would be handy, Guru. I just have a MIDI file that I play and record, and then feed into my scripts. I might need to chop the recording into separate wave files for each velocity layer. The scripts take a bit of text config to assign MIDI velocities to each layer, so it's not necessary for the layers to be evenly spaced, velocity-wise.

Next time I sample Rhodes, I'll have the layers spaced out more at low levels, with more layers in the top 6dB where the timbre change is most significant. I should probably do that for sampling digital pianos too, but they aren't as bad in that regard.

Thanks for the pointers to players, Al and Mike!

I may need to find an alternative to SFZ, possibly I stick with Cantabile. It's odd: sometimes it thinks sfz is a 64-bit executable and fails to load it; other times it thinks that of sfz+. So, I have my setup for either one. So far it hasn't barfed on both (knock on wood). I can't correlate it to anything, but once it makes up its mind it seems to be consistent, until the next day or so.

I just remembered the Windows thing: it's discoDSP's HighLife, which is freeware, BTW. It can 'resample' any VST to produce a SFZ sample.

Now it's not meant to sample an external hardware instrument, but I've got a workaround in mind: Plogue Bidule (also free beta, if I'm not mistaken) can be used as a VST plugin; and you can setup Bidule internally in the following manner: incoming midi->external hardware->incoming audio->audio output. So it's like any other VST, except the audio is actually generated externally :cool: .

So it should be possible to automate sample any external midi-receiving hardware, with just a few mouse clicks, and no manual key pressing involved. On Windoze. Without major $$$ investment :). But I haven't actually tried the above hack myself; I'm currently away from my system, and when I get back I should be able to confirm. Meanwhile, hope this info's useful.

Archived