Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Listen and Learn

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The obvious ones -

For rock (Hammond) organ - Jon Lord (Deep Purple)..... the Master.

Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater).

Keith Emerson.

There are many MANY more , but I'm sure the other guys here will give you a confusingly large selection !

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

The obvious ones -

For rock (Hammond) organ - Jon Lord (Deep Purple)..... the Master.

Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater).

Keith Emerson.

There are many MANY more , but I'm sure the other guys will give you a confusingly large selection !

Joey, if you're into a bit of Prog Rock I'd like to see a longer list from you.

I like the stuff that'd be in the Art Rock category too - the song based stuff from the Beatles through Genesis/Floyd/King Crimson/Bowie (?) leading to Radiohead and Muse (?)

Not of fan of the noodley random panel beater time signature stuff from The Men Who Shave Like Goats - if you know who I mean.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Joey, if you're into a bit of Prog Rock I'd like to see a longer list from you.

Who's 'Joey', Strrrlling? :D - but if you're referring to me (John) -

I left the list open for other folks to chime in !

Apart from 'Rock Wakeman' , some other obvious candidates would be (as my inspirations) -

Tony Banks (Genesis)

Don Airey (Colosseum & Deep Purple, & others)

...oh - & I really like a bit of 'Brahms & Lizst' ! :snax:

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

John - so sorry. I'm wrecked, three gigs in two days and two late nights/early starts.

I was driving the band so getting Brahms & Lizst has been postponed until this afternoon. Spent two days helping friends move house and they've just called with a cracking bottle of red.

I'll toast your good health John - and maybe catch a rerun of Friends where my favourite character is ...

Love Tony Banks' playing and admire Don Airey for getting the job done despite the Spinal Tap types he's had to deal with over the years.

Thanks for the reply.

Colin

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

I have been listening to lots of Rock Wakeman

He was awesome on "The Flintstones". :thu:

Guys like Paul Shaffer learn a new chart basically every day, it's interesting to see what they come up with and how they do it.

2 classical guys that should be listened to and watched by everybody: Vladimir Ashkenazy and Alexander Toradze, the latter who I call "The Piano Killer" for his ability to make a piano go completely out of tune in a half hour. :laugh:

Here are some players that you might enjoy checking out:

For piano inspiration, in a variety of styles, Bruce Hornsby has been a big influence. Live, I've heard him cover a lot of ground: tasty voicings/solos on his originals (ranging from americana to rock, with a strong jazz influence), soulful covers of classic standards, and the ability to change things up by jumping over to accordion.

For a different sort of piano inspiration, Gabriela Montero is irresistible. Scary chops on the traditional piano literature (humbling; makes me want to spend the day buried in Hanon, and running through scales, arpeggios, etc..). Also, improv chops that are different than those of most jazz players; a real mind opener. Check out her live improvisation, on YouTube, based on the main theme from the Rachmaninoff 3rd Piano Concerto - interpreted in the style of a Bach fugue.

Rick Wakeman has been an influence since the mid 70's: piano, synths, orchestration, etc.. For rock/americana keyboards: Benmont Tench (I owe much of my limited 'Hammond' vocabulary to that guy), and Neil Doughty of REO ( listening to him forced me to learn my minor blues scales in all keys; plus provided a lot of tasty B3 ideas).

The late Tom Howard still is a huge influence. Monster piano/keys chops, plus a sense of well orchestrated parts in everything he arranged and recorded. He could also improv with an utter sense of abandon; it was fun to see live. I played one of his solo pieces on the 2010 Keyboard Corner Compilation. Attempting to arrive at a similar improv'd section of the piece was fun; but, remembering Tom's work, it was also quite humbling. That guy was a terrific mentor.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Other worthy rock organists - Rod Argent, Mark Stein (Vanilla Fudge), Vincent Crane (Atomic Rooster, Arthur Brown)

Brian Auger - crosses the jazz rock divide in spectacular fashion

Jimmy Smith, Joey De Francesco, Larry Young - jazz

Those are just organists. There are countless others too...

Moe

---

Archived