Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HAmmond XK1 & Refugee sound

RGS

I have recently bought an XK1 and have been trying to get the B3 sound on Tom Petty's 'Refugee' song, but am not having a lot of luck on either the drawbars or if there are other parameters that need to be set such as reverb or cabinet type etc.

Any advice on the settings to get that fabulous sound?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! Google is cool .... I have no idea if this is right I do not play the song. Also I find there are characterisitc difference between organs, espcecially with the upper tone bars but here you go.

http://www.drawbarsettings.com/songs.cfm?song=Refugee&artist=Tom%20Petty

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Its probably not perfectly accurate, but I start with 888800000, 3rd harmonic percussion on soft with a fast decay, no chorus/vibrato. I usually dial in a little 2 2/3' drawbar, usually around 3. I have a tiny bit of overdrive dialed in for just a little crunchiness, but nowhere near Deep Purple territory. For the intro, I have the Leslie on fast, ramp it down for the beginning of the verse and then up and down to push the energy of the tune in different directions throughout the song. I'll back off on the higher drawbars a little during the verses too, if the band is playing it right and bringing down the dynamics like they should.

D7

If you were a subscriber to Keyboard Magazine (and why aren't you, at the stupidly low price they offer it at! ;) ), you'd have seen the interview with Benmont Tench, and the link to him playing the part, and an article explaining how to play it to boot. :thu:

Not to mention that Google is your friend too, but... here you go. :thu:

Maybe he's a new subscriber and missed that issue. :o:laugh:;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Maybe he's a new subscriber and missed that issue. :o:laugh:;)

Hmmm.... you're absolutely right... there are still some folks who are wasting their $12 a year on frivolities like triple vente half-latte half-grande frappamoccawokkachinos and stuff.

Seriously, even if you only like one article per month, isn't that worth the buck a month? :freak:

Anyway, yeah... there you have it. ;)

I'm spending my $12/year on fast food from ConAgra. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If you were a subscriber to Keyboard Magazine (and why aren't you, at the stupidly low price they offer it at! ;) ), you'd have seen the interview with Benmont Tench, and the link to him playing the part, and an article explaining how to play it to boot. :thu:

Not to mention that Google is your friend too, but... here you go. :thu:

That link is bad. Isn't Keyboard Magazine available for free online?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

LOL! Google is cool .... I have no idea if this is right I do not play the song. Also I find there are characterisitc difference between organs, espcecially with the upper tone bars but here you go.

http://www.drawbarsettings.com/songs.cfm?song=Refugee&artist=Tom%20Petty

What a great website!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Archived