Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice, please

marino

Hi all,

I have to take a decision and would like your opinion. :)

It looks like the Alesis Ion which I've used as main synth for my classes in keyboard programming/performance at school has breathed its last breath. *Five* trips to "authorized" assistance (ha) didn't do much good. We've lost a lot of teaching/learning time for this problem, so it's become a sort of emergency.

The Ion is not sold new anymore, so we are left with the option of buying an used one, or buying a different keyboard. Possible alternatives are the Clavia Nord Lead 2X or the Oberheim OB-12 (which can be found relatively cheap in Italy).

My question: Maybe there's some other possible alternative that didn't come to my mind?

What we need: A VA-type synth with a lot of knobs and a clear, analog-style front panel. Must be poly. Extra points for pitch and mod *wheels*, more than two oscillators, multi-timbral capabilities, aftertouch, extensive modulation routings, different filter types.

Is there anything else on the market with these features?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keyboard versions of the Access Virus come immediately to mind. A tabletop version coupled with a controller might be an affordable option. Tabletop "A's" are in the $500 range here in the US.

Although it's front panel isn't as clearly delineated as some, the Virus still is considered the industry leader in hardware VA's I believe. You might as well show your students how it's done on something they're sure to run across.

+1 on the Access Virus!

I had a Virus Ti keyboard and it was a beast! Even some of the Virus A, B & C's can be had for little money, but they're not as robust as the Ti.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

In the used department, Roland JP-8000 or Korg MS-2000. The Roland always looked like fun to me. Might not meet all the requirements, but could be had inexpensively.

All excellent suggestions, thanks you! The Virus is a gorgeous instrument, and a KB or KC can be had rather cheaply, but the panel is not so clearly laid out for beginners. The Gaia is ok, but... ok, I just dislike the Roland paddle. Especially for getting started with pitch/mod control.

However, both the Supernova and JD-800 sound like concrete alternatives to me. MS2000 too. (Ok, the JD is not a VA, but it has a similar structure) I have to investigate their features and panel layout a little more.

Again, thanks a lot for the ideas. As usually, KC delivers! :):thu:

Would an RA qualify as "VA-type synth?" ;)

Prophet 08?

Ha ha, of course! They're a bit expensive here though. But it's a good suggestion - I'll try to throw that on the table too. :)

The Gaia is ok, but... ok, I just dislike the Roland paddle.

However, both the Supernova and JD-800 sound like concrete alternatives to me.

Ooooops!!

Guess the JD is out of the picture... :blush:

(It's late night here, folks! :D )

Archived