Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Baba O'Riley - By hand???

Joe Muscara

How many of you play or have played this song? I never have. I know the Lowrey part was not played by hand by Townshend.

We were watching The Voice last night, and one of the songs used in the competition was this one. Paul Mirkovich, who you may remember from the Rock Star shows, is the MD on this show as well, and was playing piano accompaniment for the rehearsal.

He starts playing the song, and my wife and I look at each other and say, "wait a second!" Check it out at 1:35 or so in the video.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/242472/the-voice-christina-guides-justin-grennan-and-beverly-mcclellan

I thought that was pretty impressive.

(I don't mean for this thread to be about the show itself and think if you want to discuss it, we should start another thread, one with a specific subject line. :) )

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to pay attention to the piano but was immediately distracted by the annoying vocals. :mad:

Wasn't there a recent thread regarding the Star Spangled Banner and vocal showboating? Oh, yeah, this one. The term Melisma comes to mind.

I guess the Star Spangled Banner wasn't enough, now she has to teach other people how to thoroughly butcher songs.

Sorry for the hijack, now onto the OP subject...

Haven't ever played that song, but the way he does it, I think I'd have a really hard time keeping good even tempo for an entire song. They didn't include much of the performance on that clip, but yeah, that's pretty cool...especially on a weighted keyboard/piano. I'm sure it would be much easier on a non-weighted keyboard.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I have a patch on my PolyEvolver that I tweaked, and it's spot on. The step sequencer takes care of the pattern. I copied a patch right next to it for the "They're all wasted" bit where the pattern slows down. I think there's masochistic tendencies at work to play that part by hand. It's not a 'look what I can do' part for me.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

There's enough piano before any vocals start to get the gist of my point. :rolleyes:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

There's enough piano before any vocals start to get the gist of my point. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I know. The reason I wanted to hear more of the piano was to see if he kept it up and was consistent for much of the song. There are a lot of parts I can play for a few measures, but keeping it going beyond that is difficult, and I was just wondering if he just started the song that way and then went to something else, or managed to maintain that pattern throughout. You actually watched the show in it's entirety? Can you comment? Just curious.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The reason I wanted to hear more of the piano was to see if he kept it up and was consistent for much of the song.

Yeah... it would be hard to keep that up for 3+ minutes. But when I read the post, I thought maybe the guy was actually playing the whole intro! Now that would be darn impressive. It would require a bunch of "Angry Young Man" style attacks, for the notes "in between" the ones he is playing. I'm sure someone can do it...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

They really didn't show much more of BO'R in rehearsal. A little here and there, but what I did see, he played it.

As far as the actual performance, they rarely show enough of the band on this show to tell what's really going on back there. I would like to know if anyone played it by hand or if it was sequenced (they have at least two keyboard players in the band).

[FYI- I'm pretty sure the bass player is the same Sasha from Rock Star, but I can't see anyone else, nor do they list them in the credits. BOO!!]

Richie - that guy in the video is amazing! I wonder if he can play anything else. ;)

....Paul Mirkovich, who you may remember from the Rock Star shows, is the MD on this show as well, and was playing piano accompaniment for the rehearsal......

Hey thanks for that, Joe. Has this dude ever been featured in KEYBOARD? :confused:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I'm sure he was, but I don't know what issue. I tried searching the keyboardmag.com site, but didn't turn up relevant results.

This is even more impressive, IMO:

[video:youtube]

That guy must have some monster forearms!

Good Lord and he sings it well too! What forearms, the guy is a stickboy! It's all in the hands, man. . .

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

They didn't include much of the performance on that clip, but yeah, that's pretty cool...especially on a weighted keyboard/piano. I'm sure it would be much easier on a non-weighted keyboard.

Just for fun I tried that intro lick (nothing more elaborate, just what he's doing in the auditioning of the singers) on both the Kurweil PC2 (semiweighted) and the acoustic grand piano. Easier for me on the piano by far. Could I keep it up perfectly for more than a minute? Probably not ... not without practice that I know I won't be putting in. :D

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

We were watching The Voice last night, and one of the songs used in the competition was this one. Paul Mirkovich, who you may remember from the Rock Star shows, is the MD on this show as well, and was playing piano accompaniment for the rehearsal.

Not available outside the US. :(

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Sorry Mike!

Hey thanks for that, Joe. Has this dude ever been featured in KEYBOARD? :confused:

Yes.

Couldn't find it. :(

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

12 2005, Page 14. BT is on the cover.

Thanks, Joe! Tried the search function on Keyboard mag's homepage and Google. I usually remember reading about artistis I enjoy. They say the mind goes first..... Thanks again!

- George Bernard Shaw

I had to research to find it since those search options didn't work for me, either. First, I had to look up what year Rock Star: INXS was (2005) then I had to dig through the issues. Fortunately, he was mentioned on the cover and not under the mailing label. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a clip about the band. Mirkovich and the rhythm section (Nate and Sasha) are the same as Rock Star, while the other two guys I've not seen before.

http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/video/meet-the-band/1319793/

Archived