Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This man's got serious chops (video)

bloodsample

Joey D and Steve Gadd have just recently recorded an album together,"Live At Voce."

They do a version of Bye Bye Blackbird that knocked me out.

I've heard it a couple of times on Syrius XM satellite radio.

I thought there was a trumpet player in the band but it turned out that Joey played the horn himself while kicking bass pedals.

His phrasing was impeccable. He sounds just as good blowing whole notes as he does blazing away.

Yeah, that's a fun record.

One of the sickest Hammond players I've had the pleasure to meet (gospel and jazz), Jeremy Thomas, just joined up with Joey D for a series of road dates - on DRUMS.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxojoNsDOvk

I didn't even know Jeremy -played- drums until he posted that he was heading out with Joey. His Hammond playing inspires enough envy as it is.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
by Prof D:

Maybe Joey D's trio will get an invitation to play on the SB halftime show in 2013.

I wouldn't count on it. Someone in the major TV networks would have to know something about music for that to happen. :cry:

At least Madonna kept her clothes on. ;)

M.I.A. flippin' the bird was....... :facepalm:

Some people still don't get that its a FAMILY program!

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Go forth and find ye the bootleg of Jimmy Smith playing at the 1959 Newport Jazz Festival. That's all you need to know.
Would this be it?

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/jimmy-smith-trio/concerts/newport-jazz-festival-july-04-1959.html

It's not a long set, but it's burnin'.

Woah, that is, in the parlance of our times, the shit! All 3 of them are just burning on all cylinders. ThAnks for posting!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I've noticed that when Joey plays bass lines, he never seems to cross his thumb under his fingers, or his fingers over his thumb. How he do dat?

Looks like he kept the lines contained to about an octave and a half, max. With the exception of the journey to the acoustic bass sample, everything laid right under his fingers--no acrobatics needed. Excellent economy of motion.

Archived