Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Bogus upgrade email message from "Adobe"

Synthoid

Just wondered if anyone else received a "fishy" email today regarding upgrading Adobe Acrobat. I've never received an unsolicited email from Adobe, and after Googling my suspicions (nod to Sven), I found this on Adobe's website:

With the availability of Adobe Acrobat X solutions this week, a reminder to be cautious when receiving email messages purporting to offer a download of a new version of Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader sent by entities claiming to be Adobe.

Many of these emails require recipients to register and/or provide personal information. Please be aware that these emails have not been sent by Adobe or on Adobes behalf.

The Adobe Reader, in particular, is free software available for download directly from the Adobe Reader download page on the Adobe website at http://get.adobe.com/reader/; it is not available in any other manner via download, including via email.

Customers receiving one of these potentially malicious emails should delete the email immediately without clicking on any of the links.

:taz:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually got caught with one of those, I am embarrassed to admit. Last year I bought a scanner with Adobe Acrobat included, registered the software, and then within a week (purely by coincidence) I clicked on an email (which looked amazingly legitimate) offering an upgrade to the latest version. As I was making a CC payment, I saw it was going to "poisonoussnake.com" and immediately called my CC company and cancelled my card. No problems there (I got my money back thru the CC company) but proceeded to get a slew of spam emails now that they had all my address info, etc. that continues to this day.

I was fooled by fortuitous timing and a moment of carelessness.

It just didn't seem legit after I started reading the email. Not sure how I got on their list though, but I'm glad I checked it out first.

Perhaps nobody else here got one of these emails.

:idk

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

If justice were up to me, I'd have the guys responsible for these scams fined and stuck inside a KC-60 running a microPIANO in mono.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

Archived