Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Update: back from band rehearsal

metromike

Just got back from a rehearsal with my new group. I wanted to say thank you for the encourgement and support you guys gave me! I worked hard this past week and did ok.....They are a good group of guys and are being very patient, but I think i may be able to do ok!!!

My assignment for the week....learn 'disco inferno' (all keyboard, string and horn parts - UGH!!! and the solo from 'what I like about you'....and about 15 other songs..

Feeling good so far...although I may want to explore some different brass patches...they did not care for the ones on the motif es6 :confused: Thanks again everyone!!

Gear: Roland RD700, Yamaha MotifES6, Roland Fantom FA76, Roland JP-8000, Roland AX-7, Roland Juno-106.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...and the solo from 'what I like about you'

Are you referring to the harmonica solo?

Yes, looking for a good harmonica patch :) I think it just noodles around on E,A,D ?? (like the rest of the song)

Gear: Roland RD700, Yamaha MotifES6, Roland Fantom FA76, Roland JP-8000, Roland AX-7, Roland Juno-106.

Feeling good so far...although I may want to explore some different brass patches...they did not care for the ones on the motif es6 :confused: Thanks again everyone!!

What tunes, and what patches did you use?

You can leave your hat on, September, ....I think is was 'small brass sct" under the "voice" section. (I really need to learn how to use this board....LOL

You can leave your hat on, September, ....I think is was 'small brass sct" under the "voice" section. (I really need to learn how to use this board....LOL

Yeah, that's your problem; the guys probably want to hear lively, bright brass sounds, that patch doesn't bring it to the table.

As Steve mentions above, you're better off with a performance mixing a few different brass timbres, so spend some time going through that category (you do know how to use Category mode in both Voice and Performance mode, right?). There are lots of patches that get you closer than the one you picked.

Yes, looking for a good harmonica patch :) I think it just noodles around on E,A,D ?? (like the rest of the song)

:facepalm:

Metromike - tell the lead vocalist to grab a harmonica and play that lead. Dammit! :taz:

Sooooo simple.

He's just being lazy.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Yeah, that's your problem; the guys probably want to hear lively, bright brass sounds, that patch doesn't bring it to the table.

As Steve mentions above, you're better off with a performance mixing a few different brass timbres, so spend some time going through that category (you do know how to use Category mode in both Voice and Performance mode, right?). There are lots of patches that get you closer than the one you picked.

Thanks.....this is part of my underlying problem...I don't know how to use the modes or make a performance, layer sounds...etc.

I guess it is time to dig up the manual and get intimate with my board :) Thanks for the advice everyone!

keep asking specific questions here--the Motif has a severe learning curve and the manual, although once experienced on the board is very good, for the beginner is rather hard to understand.

The peeps here can really help.

Again, ask away. The Motif is a Very Powerful board, and you can get some great sounds with fast configuration once you understand it.

:wave:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

...and the solo from 'what I like about you'

Are you referring to the harmonica solo?

When we first started doing this song, I played it using a harmonica patch on my Korg, but I also went out and bought a real harmonica. I practiced in the car, and now I just play the solo on the harp. I don't think you could find an easier harmonica song. John Popper it ain't!

....I think is was 'small brass sct" under the "voice" section. (I really need to learn how to use this board....LOL

I'm using a Motif ES rack unit for most of my brass sounds. My hands down favorite is the "VeloFalls" brass patch. As Sven suggests - it's bright and lively - and has a real nice "swell" to it if you keep hold a chord with it.

Be mindful of the Modulation wheel with this patch. Although I've never dissected the patch settings to truly understand "why" - I find that if I've left the modulation wheel "on" - the patch seems to be way more responsible to key velocity (engaging the "fall" part of the patch much easier and not in a good way!) - than when the Mod wheel is "off".

The SpaceNorman :freak:

....I think is was 'small brass sct" under the "voice" section. (I really need to learn how to use this board....LOL

I'm using a Motif ES rack unit for most of my brass sounds. My hands down favorite is the "VeloFalls" brass patch. As Sven suggests - it's bright and lively - and has a real nice "swell" to it if you keep hold a chord with it.

Be mindful of the Modulation wheel with this patch. Although I've never dissected the patch settings to truly understand "why" - I find that if I've left the modulation wheel "on" - the patch seems to be way more responsible to key velocity (engaging the "fall" part of the patch much easier and not in a good way!) - than when the Mod wheel is "off".

This man knows what he is saying. :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Thanks.....this is part of my underlying problem...I don't know how to use the modes or make a performance, layer sounds...etc.

I guess it is time to dig up the manual and get intimate with my board :) Thanks for the advice everyone!

When I got my S90 ES, I also got the "S90 Under Control" DVD, which, although made for the original S90, made the whole structure of the synth a lot easier for me to understand (the differences between the two instruments were minor enough in the context of the DVD that it wasn't the slightest problem to adapt). As far as I understand, the Motif ES is pretty similar operationally, apart for the extras like sampling & sequencing, so you might find that helpful if you can get hold of it. :)

Archived