Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Deep Purple Highway Star Organ Transcription Question

Polkahero

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That song gets people going everytime.

Blackmore's solo is also legendary.

The Lord sound is just where it's at for power and drive.

I use a Radial Plexitube and nail the sound using B2003, VB3 or HX-3.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I remember when Machine Head was released. Talk about being blown away! The opening cut, "Highway Star", grabs you by the balls and takes you deep into the world of intense hard rock!

I was a fan of DP from their Shades of Deep Purple album. MK I was influenced by Vanilla Fudge. Most of their songs were hard rock versions of covers (River Deep Mountain High, Hush, Help, etc). Sort of a gimmick band that used other musicians' compositions and turned them into very interesting and powerful musical experiences. The music was still great, though... and I loved them as a kid.

When Roger Glover and Ian Gillan joined the band, everything changed. Deep Purple MK II was not a subtle band. We knew that immediately when "Deep Purple In Rock" was released. No more covers... Just incredibly intense rock. Like the way "Highway Star" would open Machine Head a few years later with incredible energy, "Speed King" opened the album with a powerful held E chord (50 seconds!) with Richie Blackmore's pyrotechnic guitar and Jon Lord's distorted Hammond screaming on top. Fading to a little soft classically inspired Hammond passage... Then after a snare hit, right into the song paced at 99 MPH!

The solo trade-offs between Jon and Richie during the instrumental break are pretty tasteful... Leading up to the double tracked guitar line with Ian's drums intensifying throughout. Finally building into a climbing chromatic crescendo out to the final verse. Truly Sublime!

"Speed King" changed the direction of rock music forever.

[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hxGuFGJ09qE

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

By the way... I give permission to whoever inducts Deep Purple into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame to use my post above.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Here is a live version from the instrumental break...

[video:youtube]

Archived