Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mac App Store and plugins

RipperTronic

All audio software available through the Mac App Store only works as a standalone app format: virtual instruments cannot be used as plugins. Will this marketing model also mark the end of the plugin era? How do you integrate standalone apps with your sequencer in a no-hassle manner?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All audio software available through the Mac App Store only works as a standalone app format: virtual instruments cannot be used as plugins. Will this marketing model also mark the end of the plugin era? How do you integrate standalone apps with your sequencer in a no-hassle manner?

Can you provide a link to that info on the App Store site? That sounds surprisingly counter-productive for VI makers. I also wonder whether that mainly applies to VSTs, which can't be used directly in Logic or Garageband.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Can you provide a link to that info on the App Store site? That sounds surprisingly counter-productive for VI makers. I also wonder whether that mainly applies to VSTs, which can't be used directly in Logic or Garageband.

I don't think there's a hard rule on this, rather to-date virtual instruments available through the App Store have been standalone.

Virtual instrument makers going through the App Store are hoping to capture a new audience, the casual user, i.e. people who never thought of playing piano/EP/organ from the computer.

NO, it does not in any way mark the end of plug-ins. Professionals need them as they're critical to workflow. Standalone VIs, whether on OSX or iOS, nine times out of ten turn out to be nice little distractions for a while and then you forget about them. I don't buy them.

I would much rather deal directly with the NIs, Spectrasonics, Audiobros of the world than go through the Apple App store.

Busch.

NO, it does not in any way mark the end of plug-ins. Professionals need them as they're critical to workflow. Standalone VIs, whether on OSX or iOS, nine times out of ten turn out to be nice little distractions for a while and then you forget about them. I don't buy them.

Indeed. It's an App store folks, as in applications not a plug in store...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

It's also early days. It's possible that plug-ins will be allowed later. However, Apple is pretty restrictive on what kinds of apps are sold through the Mac App Store (you can't require the user to enter their admin password and "Apps must be self-contained, single application installation bundles, and cannot install code or resources in shared locations") so we will see if Apple opens their policies for things like this, or changes the way they work in future versions of Mac OS X so they can be sold through the store.

Meanwhile, I think no one is going to stop making plug-ins because of this. Instead, they may make standalone apps and let you know about their plug-ins that way (provided they meet the guidelines in said promotion).

Here are the specific restrictions.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/apples_guidelines_revealed_apps_you_cant_sell_in_the_mac_app_storep2.php

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

They used to sell Macintoshes. Wasn't that enough? ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Virtual instrument makers going through the App Store are hoping to capture a new audience, the casual user, i.e. people who never thought of playing piano/EP/organ from the computer.NO, it does not in any way mark the end of plug-ins. Professionals need them as they're critical to workflow. Standalone VIs, whether on OSX or iOS, nine times out of ten turn out to be nice little distractions for a while and then you forget about them.

Well, agree to some extent: there's still a good bunch of people interested in playing music only (rather than recording it) who may appreciate the simplicity of a standalone virtual instrument vs. the complexity of an integrated audio sequencer environment.

Well, agree to some extent: there's still a good bunch of people interested in playing music only (rather than recording it) who may appreciate the simplicity of a standalone virtual instrument vs. the complexity of an integrated audio sequencer environment.

I have this thing I call a piano for that. ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

At least one developer I know of will make an AU version of his new standalone app available as a free download to customers who purchase the app. The AU won't run if the app isn't installed.

At least one developer I know of will make an AU version of his new standalone app available as a free download to customers who purchase the app. The AU won't run if the app isn't installed.
:cool: Can I find it by typing "synth" in the Mac App Store search box? Also wondering what happens in case of upgrades.

• 1 month later...

Found it: it's the NLogPoly; cool looking synth indeed, a bit pricey for an app store product but will surely consider it. The list of music apps available on the store has been growing fast recently, especially after Apple announcement that Lion is being released next month.

DanS: when you say piano do you mean the heavy wooden instrument invented in Italy four centuries ago? I though that kind of stuff just ended up covered with dust in museums.

I still can't believe--after all of this branching out--that Apple doesn't yet sell apples...

Don't you know you can grow your own apples organically for way less money? ;)

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Archived