Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POD HD 500 Straight Into the PA

dvuksanovich

Played my first show last night with my new band... and my POD HD 500. While I did have some monitoring issues (no fault of the POD) the sound guy came up to me after the show and told me he thought I sounded better than our other guitarist who uses a Mesa Single Rectifier head through a Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

Believe the hype, folks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool.

I've gone direct to the PA (albeit in real peanuts kinda small potato kinda little gigs) with a digital-modeler before, a DigiTech GNX4, with some of my cool analog pedals in front of it, and got surprisingly great results.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've got a GNX3000 as well, which I'm pretty sure uses the same modeling engine as the GNX4. The GNX is certainly not bad, but the POD blows it out of the water. When I A/B them it's like the GNX is two dimensional sound and the POD is three dimensional sound.

Played my first show last night with my new band... and my POD HD 500. While I did have some monitoring issues (no fault of the POD) the sound guy came up to me after the show and told me he thought I sounded better than our other guitarist who uses a Mesa Single Rectifier head through a Marshall 4x12 cabinet.

Believe the hype, folks.

This is the future now in so many ways.. Fortunately for boutique amp makers marketing is such that for years to come, players will spend TONS on stuff that is more nostalgic in terms of tone than in the reality that the tone comes from the hands/vision first.

Case in point: I use a digital-modeling program on my GNX4 going direct to the PA, that NAILS the sound I want for emulating a vintage Fuzz Face into a loud, clean-ish Marshall for one tune; when I worked up this program, I was inspired by an old, semi-obscure recording by a band that got very famous under a different name and stylistic-direction after that version of this song (unreleased for years) was recorded.

As I said, it NAILS what I want for that tune, and I've gotten great reactions from people when they hear me play it, it always gets grins and hollers...

...BUT, if you or I try to do some of the things that vintage style Fuzz Faces are famous for, like tweaking the tone, response, and cleaning-up by adjusting the guitar's volume-knob and picking-dynamics, it just isn't going to happen, not even remotely close. Compared to "THE REAL THING", the digital-model isn't particularly complex in its tone and response; it's no replacement for the real thing, it does NOT react and interact in the same way. But it DOES allow me to get just so much of the basic sound character of a vintage Fuzz Face, plenty enough to do a convincing job of it for that tune without having to buy another pedal or amp!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The HD500 will never be the replacement for every rig. But, it's VERY cool for VERY cheap! It sounds and plays great.

Personally, I'd love to have less "modeling" and more tone creation on board. Also, more horsepower would be nice. I think the modular layout (FX pedals, amps and signal chain) and user interface keeps it simple for Joe Petilbourd, but doesn't give me access to the things I want to do.

Like - I want the meat of a treadplate rolls back to a plexi and through a DR Z and ends in a Bassman.

I think they need the composite amp creation tool...

The HD500 will never be the replacement for every rig. But, it's VERY cool for VERY cheap! It sounds and plays great.

Personally, I'd love to have less "modeling" and more tone creation on board. Also, more horsepower would be nice. I think the modular layout (FX pedals, amps and signal chain) and user interface keeps it simple for Joe Petilbourd, but doesn't give me access to the things I want to do.

Like - I want the meat of a treadplate rolls back to a plexi and through a DR Z and ends in a Bassman.

I think they need the composite amp creation tool...

Yeah... the Digitech GNX series lets you do that, but the modeling isn't nearly as good.

...BUT, if you or I try to do some of the things that vintage style Fuzz Faces are famous for, like tweaking the tone, response, and cleaning-up by adjusting the guitar's volume-knob and picking-dynamics, it just isn't going to happen, not even remotely close. Compared to "THE REAL THING", the digital-model isn't particularly complex in its tone and response; it's no replacement for the real thing, it does NOT react and interact in the same way. But it DOES allow me to get just so much of the basic sound character of a vintage Fuzz Face, plenty enough to do a convincing job of it for that tune without having to buy another pedal or amp!

You've got that nailed. It's certainly not a replacement for everything. BUT, If there's anything that has improved tremendously with the HD product over the last generation of modelers, it's the tone responsiveness. You should give it a shot...

Archived